Balloon Popped Next to Me

Discussion in 'Support' started by Bart, Sep 24, 2014.

tinnitus forum
    1. Bart
      Balanced

Bart Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/06/2014
      Today I was in a restaurant and there was this kid behind me and he popped a balloon 1 meter from me, off course just that time I did not wear my ear plugs, it seemed very loud with my H, it scared the shit out of me I was so pissed off I immediatly left the restaurant, did not even finish my meal.

Now it seems my T is abit louder, it was just lowering this week !

Will it go down again or am I screwed now ?

• Friendly Friendly x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. Zechariah

Zechariah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It will, and tbh, if you have managed to protect your ears since you had the tinnitus (assuming that yours was noise induced), they have recovered pretty well already so it's very unlikely that you got damage that would worsen it.

And you T most likely only feels louder now because you are fearing for the worst and your stress/anxiety levels burst off the charts... :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Agree with the above. Balloon pop shouldn't do hearing damage. So it should not have lasting effect on your T. Try to relax and give it a week or two to see if your T will return to baseline. Just don't stress out because this will aggravate your T. Take care.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      Hi there..guess what - exactly the same happened to me today. I guess we had similar experiences a few times already - would that be something about the Flandres and its people? Did you recover ? I was standing in a queue for an ice-cream ( closed space , fortunately not very small ) and there was a bunch of kids running around, defintiely stressless upbringing - my favourite kind :mad: One of them popped a balloon he was playing with. I estimate I was maybe 2 meters away from him, if I'm lucky. Damn, the shit made me jump, but of course half a second after I was already concerned about my tinnitus . I left the place instatnly and went home - the end of the beautiful sunny day for me. When I read on the net that a popping ballon is supposed to measure 125 db I probably got even more pale than I already am. I definitely felt the pressure in my right ear ( the one exposed to the burst) and I 'm just wondering..if that was enough to damage my hearing more..:banghead: ? When they say 125 m it's at 1m, right ? And at 2 meters that would only be 119 then ? Either way , I took NAC and am not planning to leave home for a while. If some of you could write they experienced balloons popping nezr them and were fine, I'd help me not to be anxious I guess..

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    5. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      Ok, some websites say it 's 157 db ?? :arghh: But at the very ear maybe ? Pity , they don't give the distance which makes all these charts useless. I'm struggling to find a reliable source and I cannot. How come the discrepancy is so huge ? From 120 to 160 db. Has any of you ever measured a popping balloon noise level ? When I think of all the far less noisy things that I constantly give up on not to make T worse it just makes me furious that some spoiled kid, not even mine, could offer me a new hearing damage . I'm so pissed off with the fate. Why did he have to be there and couldn't this damn balloon pop a few minutes later ? Sometimes I feel that from the moment I make the smallest step to embrace my life , fatum just won't stop lurking at me. :inpain::inpain:

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. Sebastians

Sebastians Member

Tinnitus Since:
      13/10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Guitars, loud girls and guns
      I had a gun discharged at about a meter from my ears in an enclosed space, now that was probably 150db.
      A balloon, while probably loud and uncomfortable, will not come close to that noise level. Unless you have bad H, it will not have consequenses.
      Don't be so harsh on kids, they just do stupid stuff. I've seen adults do much worse..
      All this self-victimising leads to nowhere as well. The universe is massively disinterested in our personal suffering.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    7. Nonna
      Barefooter

Nonna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/17/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Allergies
      It will lower again. I never trust people.

8. Nonna
      Barefooter

Nonna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/17/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Allergies
      The universe may not care, but I do, I hate suffering alone. I had a styrofoam pop next to my ear in an enclosed space, I was a wreck for 24hrs. My neighbors like to shoot guns, old 70yr old loud rifles. I'm thinking about purchasing a sound proof booth.