Baseline Tinnitus Disappears for a Few Seconds During a Fleeting Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Petronius, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Petronius

Petronius Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise / anxiety
      This occurs once in a while, and I was wondering if anyone else experiences it.
      At once, the baseline tinnitus turns off completely - there's a brief moment of silence, followed by a fleeting beep sound that lasts just a few seconds. After the fleeting sound has faded, the baseline slowly switches back on.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Happens to me sometimes, always only in one ear, never in both ears at the same time and only lasts for a couple of seconds. All tones in one ear will suddenly stop and at the same time, one monotonous/continuous tone appears.
      After a couple of seconds, this monotonous tone fades away and simultaneously my other usual tones come back.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      Happens daily for me

4. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Yes, happens often to me too. Unsure why, but I noticed it more often while taking oral steroids and then again while taking Flonase for allergies.

5. Striveon

Striveon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It happens a lot to me too throughout the day, it is a relief to hear silence. The most I've had silence is for about 5 minutes, I was well enjoying it. :)

6. lymebite
      Vegged out

lymebite Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      This is called SBUTT - sudden brief unilateral tapering tinnitus - and is quite common.

The article at the link discusses SBUTT. Interestingly, it says people with chronic T experience SBUTT a little differently than people without chronic T:

“These SBUTT incidents typically last for a few seconds, whereas people with chronic tinnitus often deal with the ringing sound for a minute or longer and experience it more frequently than every few weeks.”

https://www.thecut.com/2016/08/what-causes-ringing-in-the-ears-tinnitus.html