Benfotiamine for Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by EatMoTacos, Jul 30, 2017.

1. EatMoTacos
      No Mood

EatMoTacos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music and being dumb
      Has anyone tried taking Benfotiamine, what did it do for your innitus? As I was doing some research on this, it appears to work as an anti-inflammatory with nerve endings, maybe possible with nerve pain as well?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      I've not tried this, but there is some good information on it here:

https://examine.com/supplements/benfotiamine/

Like many vitamin supplements it's likely to do nothing; unless you have deficiency and that is the cause of your tinnitus. It's possible that its ability to improve blood flood and circulation may yield some improvements in sufferers that also benefit from Ginkgo biloba; of course I'm only purely speculating.

3. Toopers
      Happy

Toopers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Re: Benfotiamine, I'd like to share my experience in the hope it could help someone.

I've had tinnitus for roughly three years affecting both ears equally. The cause of it is unknown to me as I've not been exposed to a loud environment, injury etc. I had been to three ENT's who were empathetic but useless. I had tried all the recommended supplements, made a few diet modifications, used pressure points and selective tapping. Nothing seemed to work although perhaps it kept my tinnitus from worsening.

I began reading a few comments touting B-1 and specifically Benfotiamine. After viewing a video by Dr Berg, I decided to give it a try. I purchased 150 mg capsules by Synergy because it was the lowest mg, didn't have any other major ingredients and was the cheapest.

It's been six weeks now and my tinnitus has 90% disappeared throughout this period. What's also remarkable is that my tinnitus stopped one day after beginning the supplementation which was one capsule per day. I realize that all tinnitus cases are not the same nor do they have the same cause.

If this product helped me then I have to assume that it will help some others. It might be worth a try. Good luck to you.

• Winner Winner x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. David Dorci

David Dorci Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/09/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication, Depression
      How is your tinnitus now?

5. Toopers
      Happy

Toopers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It has returned but to a lesser and less noticeable degree. I've been taking the minimal amount of the Benfotiamine and I've been thinking of bumping it up. I might also start taking a daily B-50 complex along with it.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      @Toopers -- Congratulations on your improvements! Have you thought about whether your blood sugar levels were causing or contributing to your tinnitus. Here's a link to an article on Benfotiamine, which delves into its effect on blood sugar legels:

Protecting Against Glycation and High Blood Sugar with Benfotiamine

As the title suggests, Benfotiamine can be helpful with regulating blood sugar levels. And unhealthy blood sugar levels are a well-known cause of some cases of tinnitus. Below is a link the the producte I buy for myself. I don't know whether it's helping with my tinnitus, as I began supplementing with it 3-4 years ago, well before my tinnitus onset.

Life Extension Mega Benfotiamine 250 mg, 120 Vegetarian Capsules

This sounds like a product most people should take as they age, whether or not a person has tinnitus. -- @Bill Bauer

• Winner Winner x 2
    7. Toopers
      Happy

Toopers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yes my blood sugar level has been at the upper range of normal and sometimes slightly above. The Benfotiamine does help with that I'm sure. As I write this my tinnitus has once again reduced itself to a very low level. I'm still taking the minimal amount of Benfotiamine but will increase it if need be in the future. I have always taken small amounts of magnesium taurate, citrus bioflavonoids, turmeric, zinc, flax oil and a multi vite. However it wasn't until the addition of the Benfotiamine that I really began to see a difference. If your tinnitus is caused or aggravated by elevated sugar or inflammation, this may help.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Old post I know, but if you're still about, are you still on the Benfotiamine, and is it still helping?

9. weab00
      Gloomy

weab00 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      some good mf music
      Curious as well. Considering going on this.

10. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Me too. I think I'll try it.

11. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Are you still on Benfotiamine?

12. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi @DebInAustralia -- I do still take it, the brand I linked to above. I only take it about 2-3x/week, as the dosage is rather high. Another B vitamin I take regularly that I can notice much more from taking is inositol. I first heard it was good for OCD because of how it can calm the brain. Although I don't have OCD, it does seem to calm down my brain and nervous system. -- LISTENING TO INOSITOL: CLINICAL NOTES

13. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Thanks for responding.

Does the Benfotiamine and/or Inositol help your tinnitus?

14. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nothing discernible that I've been able to notice. But I could easily see how either one would likely help at least some people's tinnitus. Benfotiamine is very good at helping regulate blood sugar levels, and inositol is very good at calming the brain and nervous sytem. Both can be critical factors that have the potential to greatly influence tinnitus severity.

15. Mike TerMaaten

Mike TerMaaten Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 20, 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2013 GMC Sierra pickup truck
      Benfotiamine has been great for me.