Benzo Withdrawals

Discussion in 'Support' started by Neenie, Jan 20, 2014.

tinnitus forum
    1. Neenie
      Depressed

Neenie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Hi guys.
      When I first got tinnitus I was scared. I had no idea why. Then I put things together and realised that the only thing that had changed was that I'd gone off Triazolam (a sleeping benzo). In an effort to reverse the situation I went back on the benzo. No effect. A few months passed. And my left ear started clicking every time I spoke or swallowed. So then I thought perhaps it wasn't due to benzos because the tinnitus was only in my left ear and how could it make my ear click like that? Now I'm back on the idea that it's due to benzos. I feel terrible. Coz if it is because of benozs then it's my fault. I feel sick just thinking about it. If it is due to benzos do you think it will go away? Or is it permanent. After nearly 5 months I'm just as scared and unknowledgeable as on the first day. SCARED!

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Neenie, take a deep breath and settle down, you are only going to make the T and anxiety worse. Call or see your Dr. or Pharmacist and tell them your situation. Chances are the T may just acting up again like before. you know how it can come out of no where...

• Like Like x 1
    3. Valentin

Valentin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/08/2013
      benzo targets the brain so the ears should ring at the same frequency and equally during withdrawal.

few people have posted benzo withdrawal videos on youtube, one is a guy in his 40ies and he mentionned ear"s" ringing during withdrawal.

Valium withdrawal symptoms - benzodiazapines...

ask him how it went for him :)

4. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Neenie, if you didnt know that benzos cause tinnitus then how is it your fault??? Also, Neenie, I dont mean to put more pressure on you, but in many-many cases when tinnitus is caused by anxiety, depression or stress it can eventually go away. Probably your brain is not only working improperly in the hearing center but also in other places of the brain. try to get your mind on smth else, for example studying for your exam in January:) Maybe some good food and a funny movie will help.
      And if it doesnt go away, it will become a part of you. You can your own weird you to integrate it into your system;)

5. Neenie
      Depressed

Neenie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Thanks man. Yer, i just had a bad day monitoring it all the time then going into panic when I realise (a) how loud it is and (b) that it hasnt gotten any better. I'm really scared that I won't be able to cope with it. My partner says to just live each day at a time and see where it takes you. The brain is really powerful. I've been breathing really strangely for 2 weeks now and I KNOW it is just anxiety but still my breathing is weird. I tell myself it's nothing and it's all in my mind and it's still there! Even though I know it's not real. I presume tinnitus is the same.....because I perceive it to be bad, it is. And because I am afraid of it, its really loud. I'm just sad about it all and I get scared when I read other peoples posts that have had tinnitus for years and I honestly don't know if I can have that in my life for so long and be ok. :(

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. EdnaLegume
      Cheeky

EdnaLegume Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1999
      Have you called to speak with your doctor about reducing the amount of meds you're on?

you already know what's going on, you KNOW it's anxiety and that is keeping you from getting past this and habituating. I still strongly believe you are on too many different meds and they are not working well together.
      I know it's hard we all know it's hard. But you have simply got to accept that you have a noise in your head that is not going to kill you. It's going to make life miserable for a SHORT while and you need to start taking steps to move past it. That noise in your head won't keep you from getting out of bed, showering, getting dressed and leaving the house. It can't stop you from doing dishes, exercising, walking in the park, or chatting with friends over lunch. you THINK it will stop you from doing these things, but the truth is, it can't. it is just a noise. a loud noise. one thing I've learned from this forum though, even people with debilitating volume can get past it and get back to life. you have to KNOW that will happen to you. You can't set a time frame. We can't tell you when it will happen and no amount of searching online will tell you either. Get away from all things tinnitus except that success forum. Read it, know you will be posting about your own success soon and get back to your life.

And call your doctor or get a second opinion and get off some of those meds. If you don't already, perhaps a therapist. someone you can talk to as well. Meds are only part of the solution.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Neenie
      Depressed

Neenie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Thanks guys. Your replies mean a lot to me.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. Jeff M.
      Cowabunga

Jeff M. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      (y)Hey Neenie!! Yeah, take it easy on tapering the benzo and seek professional advice. I was on Xanex and amitriptyline early in my journey with T. I decided on my own to go off of them and BAD stuff happened!! BAD STUFF!! So work towards getting off of the benzos, but do it the right way!!! Sending encouragement your way!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      It would be helpful if everybody wrote each time how long they were on what and what doses they took. .. We all know it depends on doses and time .. I'm trying to find sb in a situation like me :( @Neenie, how long had you been on what before your T started ? And how much time was between the two ? ( withdrawal and T appearance ? How are you doing today ? Did you have any other withdrawal symptoms ? If not, who knows..maybe T doesn't result from this at all..?

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    10. SleeplessSoul
      Insomnious

SleeplessSoul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2014
      25 years on .5 klonopin at night
      About six years on .5 ativan late afternoon 1 dose.
      T started in one ear in November due to jaw neck issues. Low hum.
      Then stated a taper off ativan to .25 and screeching t appeared and is unmaskable at night.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    11. jeffie7
      Wishful

jeffie7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2003
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    12. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      You will cope with it, and you can have it in your life. You may have to! Hopefully not, but very possible. I'm not saying this to scare you. But if you keep monitoring it, and keep hoping it will one day go away, you'll prolong how long it takes to deal with it. Accept its there, accept it will probably be there tomorrow, and you'll be one step closer to habituation!

13. SleeplessSoul
      Insomnious

SleeplessSoul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2014
      did anyone's tinnitus fade after they got off their benzos?
      Mine is getting worse by the day. I don't know what to do anymore. Is there any light at the end of this dark tunnel or has the damage been done and to just habituate, stay on the benzos, (because they help me deal with the screeching making me not sleep)???

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    14. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      I was on Ativan for 10 years then told to get off it - slowly. I tapered for a year. The last few weeks my T kicked in loud. I didn't care, I was glad to be getting off the benzies. After a few days of being off Ativan, I felt great and the T settled down. Typical addiction.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    15. SleeplessSoul
      Insomnious

SleeplessSoul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2014
      @I who love music ; it did? I wonder if the ativan is causing the t.
      Yours went down when you got off totally?
      I still have one dose of klonopin to get off too? And after I take that at night, it helps the volume a little bit. I never had a screeching t until I cut just one half a pill last week and it started immediately. Unless I hurt my neck at the same time last week. Ugh My responses are not calm. I have been following you and feel churning.
      How did you deal with the sx of withdrawal ?

16. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Below is my experience/dosage with the benzo alprazolam (Xanax). Posted this on a previous thread about two-three months ago;

I have been taking Xanax for about 18 months. I never took more than a total of 1.5 mg during the day, spread out over three doses, plus .5 mg at night. I started cutting back awhile ago and now take .25 mg during the day only as needed, which is very, very rarely. I go for weeks without a single day time pill.
      I kept my nightly time dose at .5mg. Then i cut back to .25 mg in the last month or two.

Shortly after I posted this, I completely did away with my night time dose. So for about two months, I have been benzo free -- except for two nights when I woke with such severe night-time anxiety, I took .125 mg. I had a little bit of psychological difficulty discontinuing the drug -- it was hard for me to believe I could sleep without it -- but that passed pretty quickly. My sleep still sucks and I still need to take a sleep med. But I personally don't believe benzos are a long-term answer to sleep problems. And neither did my psychiatrist, who was the one who insisted I stop.

A hit of alprazolam usually temporarily calms my tinnitus, but not to the point I want to go back to taking it regularly. Also, over time, you build tolerance to these drugs. So the low dose I am able to take effectively now would grow to a larger dose.

I personally think that in most patients, benzos themselves do not cause tinnitus, or at least chronic tinnitus that continues after you stop the drug. Anxiety causes, or exacerbates, tinnitus. Just my opinion.

Oh, and it goes without saying: these meds affect everyone very differently. You should have ongoing discussions with your doctor about your use of them. And that doctor, in the best of worlds, should be a mental health professional, not a family physician.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    17. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Use campral for benzo withdrawals.

"Acamprosate is thought to stabilize the chemical balance in the brain that would otherwise be disrupted by alcohol withdrawal or benzodiazepine withdrawal."

18. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      I don't know where that quote is from, but I took campral during benzo withdrawal and it did exactly nothing.

Using additional drugs of any kind during benzo w/d is dicey at best. For every account you can find of someone having success with one drug or another, you can find someone else who found the same drug detrimental, and it's frighteningly easy to find stories of people who go a long ways down that road and end up on anti-psychotics and other things with really severe side effects.

I am strongly of the opinion that time is the only really reliable way to ease benzo symptoms.

• Agree Agree x 2
    19. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      My T is now at my normal level. During the last few days of benzo w/d the T increased, then went back to baseline.
      I hope you've read my post "Back To Silence."

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    20. kasart
      No Mood

kasart Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unspecified
      I was thinking the same thing. I was given "Benzos" for my T in the last yr. - told to take up to 6x/day (6 mg) but ins. only covers for 4 mg/day. Now learned this class of drugs are addictive, actually worsens the T overtime to be permanent and people (& myself) feel the need to take more but -cannot- because it temporarily relieves, which is better than NOTHING. Right? But, what about long-term? Dementia. This means it will eventually help me forget my T & not ask the Dr. anything. ;)
      I've asked a Neuro. about Trobalt & cannot receive an answer or prescription. Not sure why. For a long time they told me to take Ibroprofen for "pain". Later, it's "Triptyline" drugs, which did NOTHING for my T. Eventually, educated myself to find that NSAIDs were ototoxic for T. Isn't it the job of medical expert(s) esp. ENT/Neuros. to evaluate & NOT prescribe drugs that exacerbate T for their patients? *Argh*

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    21. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      I had to take Ativan for cardiac arrythmia. In time that health problem was resolved but I was hooked on Ativan. Benzo addiction is SERIOUS. Look it up on Wiki. I believe I also had the "Protracted Benzodiazepine Withdrawal Syndrome." It was hell. Shaking, insomnia, panic, weird sensations in my limbs etc... These symptoms appeared as I started to decrease the stuff. At first I misread these symptoms so I increased the Ativan. When this up and down medicating starts, the body doesn't know what to do thus, the syndrome starts. And it's dangerous. This was when my doctor said, "Go slow." Like I said, my T went nuts at the end of the decrease but came down to normal once I was clean. I now I feel great. I deal with my T using the "Back To Silence" method, not drugs. Never again.

• Informative Informative x 2
    22. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      I took adivan and Zoplicone after onset of T. I was on them approx 2 months, just stopped taking when I ran out, didn't know any different. I felt like I was going to die and my T hit a new higher level that has never come down. I also started effexor at the same time (again for T), I tired to taper down from effexor as I learned my lesson from the other two. I tried cutting back slowly, once again, new tones and louder T. I am stuck on half my original effexor dose and scared out of my mind to even attempt a taper. All these drugs are nuts in my opinion. The docs seem to think that handing drugs to make your T worse is a good treatment for T. Well according to them, it's never the drugs to blame anyway. Couldn't be the drugs!!!! No way!!

• Like Like x 3
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    23. SleeplessSoul
      Insomnious

SleeplessSoul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2014
      @Telis I am currently in the same boat. Stuck on half my original Ativan dose and don't know what to do
      My audiologist said to go back to original dose but I don't want to keep my body in this state but I can not sleep.
      The benzo forum said I tapered too fast to start over also. It's really upsetting walking around having that much anxiety and having adrenaline surges and bent so tired and over wired and still can't sleep.
      My body just wants the Ativan of course and my dr is booked until July. I was going to discuss my meds with him as I haven't told him or the other one I was going to taper off one of them at a time.

• Hug Hug x 1
    24. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Well I sleep fine now, even with my T blasting. It's hard to get to sleep with all the noise but once I'm asleep I'm ok. I think you will be able to after some time as well. It's just the days that are tough, concentration on the simplest things etc. my anxiety is fine as well , just all this damn noise is draining.

• Agree Agree x 4
    25. NiNyu

NiNyu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma? stress?
      Do you have any hearing loss? If not, then maybe your T is just the withdrawal effect. And soon it gets softer and softer and eventually resolves.

26. NiNyu

NiNyu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma? stress?
      For pain I'd take morphine. It's the best there is. For analgesia a stable dose can work for years. Many chronic pain patients use morphine.

• Like Like x 1
    27. SleeplessSoul
      Insomnious

SleeplessSoul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2014
      I have minor hearing loss (that's what they told me) at 6000? They said for my age that was really good.
      But I still,feel since I cut the Ativan in half the screeching is permanent and updosing probably won't help at this point.
      If I thought it would quiet things down I would updose and try to taper again but I don't want to put my body through this.
      I believe this spike to be permanent damage from the shock of the cut.

• Hug Hug x 1
    28. NiNyu

NiNyu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma? stress?
      Was he hearing test after the cut? If not, then maybe it's still just the withdrawal effect. You never had this screeching noise before, right?

29. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      Im in a world of hurt. I cant sleep without meds. This was my first malady- severe insomnia.
      I went two months without sleep. I was about to croak. I had to take meds. Now the meds are not working as well.
      My doc want to put me on 6 mg of lorazapam, Im currently on 1.5. All I do is cry. IM fading, ulcers and gastritis if I want to live I have to decide what course I should take.
      The anxiety is too much. Bless us all!

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    30. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      You may be only half right, in that you might have shocked your system past the point where updosing will do a lot, but not past the point of repair.

I have communicated with many people who have developed tinnitus as a result of benzodiazepine discontinuation. The general timeframe for improvement in this symptom (based on those anecdotes) is 18-24 months, but I have communicated with at least one person who developed screeching tinnitus which did ultimately resolve almost entirely -- but it took five years. I realize that life is short, and that may seem like a horrendous length of time, but I point this out only to suggest that healing can and does happen.

I truly believe that benzodiazepine related tinnitus is somewhat different than other sources, in that the root cause is very specific long-term potentiation and downregulation of GABA(a) receptors in the DCN. In general, long-term changes from benzos do reverse over time, it's just that it can be at a glacial pace.

Do not lose hope, SleeplessSoul. I have a lot to say on this subject (benzos) which is not really appropriate for this forum, because it doesn't apply to 99% of the people here. If you'd like to PM me feel free; I also know of at least one very welcoming and fairly reasonable forum which is entirely dedicated to benzodiazepine withdrawal and recovery (www.benzobuddies.org/forum).

I have read stories of people coming off these drugs late in life and making miraculous recoveries none the less.