Best Mattress-Pillow Combo for Cervical Issues?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ajaans, May 11, 2019.

1. Ajaans
      Spaced

Ajaans Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Degenerative Disc Disease
      I have a variety of issues with degenerative disc disease in my neck. The biggest factor I have found so far is sleeping. I wake up and the tinnitus and neck pain aren't too bad, other times its awful.

I have already spent a small fortune on pillows. I'm not sure if I need firm or plush or exactly what.
      I feel like I just need to keep my neck straight when sleeping but I am a heavy sleeper and have woken up in some interesting positions lol.

2. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @Ajaans Retrolisthesis is backward slippage of one's vertebra onto the vertebra immediately below.

Osteophytes; Bone spurs, or osteophytes, are bony projections that form along joints, and are often seen in conditions such as arthritis. Bone spurs are largely responsible for limitations in joint motion and can cause pain.

Mild slippage pinching on nerve roots is probably causing tinnitus. Tinnitus could ease in time by controlling extreme forward head bending and not extending head forward from a sitting or laying position. Otherwise, neck muscle spasms may increase nerve root pressure as with osteophytes at C3/C4 and C4/C5.

Not having air space between neck and pillow should help nerve roots becoming over active while sleeping. If would be of benefit to know your age.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ajaans
      Spaced

Ajaans Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Degenerative Disc Disease
      Thank you for the excellent info Greg Sacramento. I am 54 years old and my mother's side of the family has a history of this type of neck / spine problems although the tinnitus is apparently unique.
      What's interesting is I am a semi-frequent business traveler and I have noticed a big improvement when using the hotel pillows which are notoriously thin.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Ron Robles
      Confused

Ron Robles Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept 4 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      So what kind of pillow is best for this? I have the same issue. I wake up with terrible headache and my tinnitus is louder.

5. Kendra

Kendra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSNHL/ Acoustic Trauma
      Maybe a memory foam pillow might be good?