Best Party for Donations?

Discussion in 'Awareness & Fundraising' started by Vinnitus, Sep 12, 2016.

?

Are you a donor to hearing research or considering to become one?

1. Yes, I made a one-time donation

2. Yes, I'm a recurring donor

3. No, but I'm considering it

4. No, I'm not going to donate

Results are only viewable after voting.
tinnitus forum
    1. Vinnitus
      Bookworm

Vinnitus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      28/04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      After being around here for some few months now, I figured that instead of sitting on my bum waiting for the much fabled "habituation" to happen, I might as well do something constructive to the benefit of all Tinnitus sufferers.

I'm considering donating some money to a deserving party in the field of solving this horrible affliction. Considering it's even harder now to acquire money than before Tinnitus popped up it's ugly head, I have some requirements. I would like to donate to a party that:
      • Focuses on CURATIVE research rather than developing managing techniques. I think, while the managing techniques might help for some, it is a waste of money better spend on actually making progress. The good news coming from this has a much higher therapeutic value to me than e.g. TRT could ever provide.
      • Doesn't just reel in money to feed their board members, but does actual research and not just maintaining the status quo (this one might be tough to determine).
      • Has the best chance to deliver results/breakthrough on the shorter term rather than the longer term (might also be tough to determine).
      As far as I know, there are five "big" parties active in the field, of which the first three sound promising.
      • Action on Hearing Loss.
      • Hearing Health Foundation.
      • Tinnitus Research Initiative.
      • ATA.
      • BTA.
      Did I miss any? Thoughts or ideas? Also, please state what your thoughts are about contributing to this cause.

2. Ears Hurt

Ears Hurt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Whiplash or Buzzer (abuse from ex)
      I am a donor to Action on Hearing Loss. I tend to support both Action on Hearing Loss and Hearing Health Foundation.

• Like Like x 1
    3. lymebite
      Breezy

lymebite Member Benefactor Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      For people with hyperacusis, Hyperacusis Research is the only non-profit dedicated to that affliction.

Funds are desperately needed because there is very little research to find therapies for hyperacusis. As woefully underfunded as tinnitus is, the situation with hyperacusis is even more challenging.

Donations can be made online and are tax-deductible as allowed by law:

http://hyperacusisresearch.org/donate-to-hyperacusis-research/

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. Zug

Zug Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Talk ;)

• Like Like x 1
    5. attheedgeofscience
      Uninvolved

attheedgeofscience Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Childhood
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Injury
      You could also donate to TinnitusTalk by becoming a benefactor. Certainly, in the past, TinnitusTalk has enjoyed pretty high ratings on the social media (i.e. ratings:follower-ratio) compared with other similar organizations. See for yourself. So money well spent by donating to TT if you ask me.

Thoughts? If each and every person who visits TinnitusTalk would donate just one dollar annually, there would be more than one million dollars to create awareness with. "One dollar" should be a manageable donation for just about any individual.

Most of the organizations you list do a decent job with the means they have. On the whole, they could perhaps focus slightly more on the social media angle (than they currently do).

The problem is that they have too little money to play around with. The reason non-profits have too little money is because 1) tinnitus sufferers do not donate nearly enough and 2) health authorities do not take it prioritize it. And so with that in mind, tinnitus most likely will not enter the spotlight until a sufficient critical mass of the younger population starts to be affected by it and in such a way that it affects not only themselves but also society as a whole (i.e. "cost to society").

So... don't expect anything too exciting to be happening in the near future. It will be a slow process where the "pain" slowly develops over time until - perhaps - tinnitus starts to become a sufficiently big problem to "everyone" (as a result of the "iPod generation"). Of course when and if that happens, the average health professional will be powerless (and clueless) as to what to do. You cannot really expect much else from public servants.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    6. lapidus

lapidus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Seconding Hyperacusis Research. It's the best place to donate money even for people with only T and no H since (unlike ATA and others) the money goes to actual medical research that tries to uncover the cause of H and T. They are funding the important T and H research by people like Charles Liberman and Richard Salvi for example.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Vinnitus
      Bookworm

Vinnitus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      28/04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thanks for all the input and the tip about Hyperacusis Research. I like the work people like Charles Liberman, Richard Salvi and Marcelo Rivolta are doing, hence I'm seeking a more direct way to contribute to their research. I guess I will try to contribute to Hyperacusis Research for this. As Hyperacusis and Tinnitus seem closely related, both conditions will benefit from this research, like mentioned above...

• Like Like x 2
    8. lapidus

lapidus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      • Like Like x 1
    9. lymebite
      Breezy

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      • Like Like x 1
    10. gotyoubynuts

gotyoubynuts Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      That's bullshit, or are you saying Hyperacusis Research don't have employees and other costs???

11. lapidus

lapidus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Wait, what is bullshit? I say that they are funding actual medical research instead of TRT and CBT studies etc. What are you refering to exactly?

It's a non profit organisation. Hyperacusis Research doesn't conduct research, they fund research. Their goal is to collect money. Here are the "employees": http://hyperacusisresearch.org/board/

12. lymebite
      Breezy

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hyperacusis Research does not have any employee costs. All time is volunteered. Money raised goes to fund research grants for medical researchers at universities. As with other non-profit organizations based in the United States and recognized by the Internal Revenue Service with the 501(c)(3) designation, financial records are available on guidestar.org.

13. lapidus

lapidus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @gotyoubynuts
      Yup, as @lymebite says it's all non-profit volunteered work. I still don't get what I said was "bullshit"? I just said that the money goes to medical research (unlike other organisations who give money to useless TRT, CBT and other coping therapies oriented research).

• Like Like x 1
    14. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Team Awareness

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Are there any universities in particular currently doing H research?

15. lapidus

lapidus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Harvard? That's where Liberman resides I think. Dr. Richard Salvi is at University of Buffalo.

• Informative Informative x 2
    16. lymebite
      Breezy

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      In addition to the ones mentioned by @lapidus an important hyperacusis breakthrough was achieved by Paul Fuchs at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore. In addition, Amanda Lauer at Johns Hopkins University serves as a Scientific Advisor to Hyperacusis Research:

http://hyperacusisresearch.org/scientific-advisors/

• Like Like x 3