Bike Touring Memento

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Roger McBain, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Roger McBain

Roger McBain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concussion following bicycle crash
      I'm a 68-year-old man who broke several ribs, lost consciousness and suffered a concussion in a bicycle crash incurred while pedaling a cross-country bike tour in October 2016. Tinnitus rang in several days after the crash, and has persisted since, moving from mainly the right ear to both ears, In quiet times, especially, the ringing sounds like a ceaseless, high-pitched chorus of insects roaring in my head.

I usually forget about it during the day, and can listen to music, movies, etc., without noticable problems. In quiet, however, I hear my insect choir constantly. It doesn't distress me, but I'd love to make it disappear.

My own doctors offered no solutions, and from what I'm seeing on others' posts, it appears that this condition is likely permanent. I expect I'm just going to have to get used to it.
      I'd appreciate any advice on minimizing the sounds, however.

2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. Looks like you have a mild case of tinnitus and let's hope it keeps that way. You can try some calming natural herbs/teas (like chamomile, lavender, valerian, hops etc) to relax you more but the effect on T is uncertain based on people. People have found cutting off excess salt, sugar, caffeine, alcohol and MSG will help too while others recommend supplements such as NAC, Magnesium, Zinc, B12, D3 etc. Having a deep REM sleep is also helpful to reduce T. The other way is to run a sound machine or sound APP to try to cover or mask the ringing. Have you found the need to mask your T?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Roger McBain

Roger McBain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I haven't done anything for it, and probably don't get sufficient sleep. I only notice it in quiet spaces, like my living room when I'm staying up later than I probably should.

4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Roger McBain ,
      Might be worth taking Melatonin or a low antidepressant for sleep way lower than a therapeutic dose for depression can be taken long term for sleep that is a lot better from sleeping tablets long term.
      Love glynis

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Roger McBain

Roger McBain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gracias!