Blocked Ear or Permanent Hearing Loss?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Telis, Dec 26, 2015.

1. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      In the last two weeks or so I have lost a lot of hearing in my right ear. My high pitched tinnitus is the same but now I also have a very loud howl to add in that ear. The new tinnitus is less annoying than my regular stuff but I'm really struggling to hear. I have started turning my head so that my good ear is pointed in the direction that I'm trying to hear.

I'm hoping that this will clear, I guess there is really nothing that can be done if not.

Is there any way to confirm this one way or the other? I guess a plugged ear vs loosing hearing loss would be a similar experience/sensation ?

Maybe I would need to go back to the audiologist to find out for sure? I will start back at the doctor next week.

I'm wondering if this isn't due to perilymph fistula that I posted about a couple of weeks ago.

Not sure why I'm posting this here, I guess I have to go back And see what the doctor says (not that I have a lot of faith in them though).

Maybe someone here has had a similar experience and has something to add?

Thank you

Telis

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Telis
      It could be down to wax build up or mucous left in your tubes Get your doctor check you out and try not let anxiety take hold.

Hope you had a lovely Christmas and nice New year plans.

I can remember when my hearing went with two blocked ears and drove me batty....take care as always.....lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    3. NineNails

NineNails Member

If it is a perilymph fistula you'd better stay put. It can heal but takes up to 14 days.

4. DavidSupertramp
      Cheerful

DavidSupertramp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma and TMJD
      Few days ago my left ear was completely blocked . I reacted the same way as you did , fear of hearing loss or something more serious . I couldnt hear clearly in that ear and it was annoying because it was blocked ! An ENT doctor did a microsuction and cleaned my ear canal and now i can hear normally . Probably it is just impacted wax , dont stress too much about things that havent been diagnosed yet ! Im not a professional or anything but i could remember when my ear was blocked , and when i was talking i could hear my voice really loud inside my head , thats how i knew it was just wax. Maybe a new way to detect impacted wax haha !!! Keep us updated . Take care man ..

• Like Like x 2
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I've tried in the last couple of weeks but I don't really know to the extent that I need to stay put? Bending over to put my shoes on, shutting the car door, laying down etc seems to create pressure and fullness. My right ear has maybe 30 percent hearing left at the moment. I can yawn and release pressure (hearing comes back slightly) and about a minute later it's back. I have the feeling of pressure so I'm hoping that this isn't permanent. My high pitched T is the same but the new T sound with this lower frequency hearing loss is like a jet engine roar on take off. Oddly enough my H is now reduced in that ear, it feels like I have a ear plug in full time.

6. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Telis
      Tinnitus forums are fine for getting help and support from those that have the condition, for many people that haven't experienced it simply cannot understand, including some healthcare professionals. However, this support has its limitations.
      In my opinion, anyone experiencing additional symptoms with their tinnitus such as: pain in the ear, dizziness, balance problems, blocked ears or deafness. Should immediately be seen by a Doctor and preferably referred to ENT. The ear is far too delicate an organ to delay seeing a healthcare professional. Whilst the majority of ENT Drs may not have experienced tinnitus, to the severity that many have in this forum. There is no getting away from the fact, they are medical professionals and their expertise is the anatomy of the ear and ours is not!

Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Yeah I agree but I'm sure the ENT that I maybe get into in 3 months will probably glaze over like the last time anyway. I mean really, what are they going to do for me in three months from now? I will take advise here if anyone has anything to offer while I wait for spring time to come around to see a doctor, can't hurt.

8. John G

John G Member

@Telis 3 month wait to see an ENT?. Did you get that appointment through your regular doctor?. Maybe you can do what I did and try a walk-in clinic. I got an appointment for an ENT two weeks later.

9. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Telis In my experience. The symptoms that I've mentioned: Pain in the ear, dizziness, blocked ears, balance problems or deafness; is usually taken more seriously by ENT and a patient will be seen much sooner. Particularly deafness as this could become permanent. When someone is experiencing tinnitus alone, especially someone new without the additional symptoms mentioned above. ENT prefer to wait, as the tinnitus can go away or a person habituates in time. If I were experiencing: pain, dizziness, balance problems or sudden deafness. I would go straight to A&E department and not the GP.
      Michael

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Thx. I guess I can try that this time around. Maybe it's just faster (more ENTs) in Toronto than Calgary.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      These are the same symptoms that I had two years ago at onset. I went to 2 walk ins and emergency 3 times, only one of the doctors would even refur me to an ENT. The hospitals don't even have ENTs onsite, they call them in for emergencies only, and would not do it for me. In my experience hearing loss, ear pain and tinnitus is shrugged off as nothing. Or they will write you a prescription for antibiotic ear drops, sleeping pills, and nasal spray. Unless your ears are gushing blood and you are going to die they don't seem to give a shit and everything is at snails pace.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Telis I am sorry to hear of your experience. I have had tinnitus for 20 years and thankfully haven’t experienced what you have. In fact, my GP, consultant and hearing therapist have gone out of their way to help me. I don’t mean to rub it in so please forgive me. I think you have been treated very poorly. I believe healthcare professionals have a duty of care and therefore, think something is amiss going from what you have mentioned. If I were in your position it would leave me with only one course of action:

I would write a nice polite letter to my local MP (member of parliament) i.e.: Politician and explain my circumstances. Ask if he or she would please intervene as you don’t know where else to turn and you’re in a lot of discomfort. I say again, try to be polite as possible in your letter about the medical staff you have seen about your tinnitus etc, as they will be contacted and a copy of your letter sent to them.

I would be very surprised if you didn't get a reply and help offered. There is an old saying: The Pen is mightier than the sword. Those words have proven to be true for me many times over!
      Best of luck
      Michael

13. Brettj34
      Depressed

Brettj34 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Load Music

What happened in the end? did it settle down and go back to normal? I have the same issue at the moment right ear feels very blocked if i yawn i can get it cleared but then seconds later it goes back to blocked. Did you end up with more hearing loss?

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I think it came back or I'm used to it, haven't had a audiogram since so not exactly sure.

15. SilverSpiral
      Sad

SilverSpiral Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ACOUSTIC TRAUMA
      Same experience in Canada with healthcare. Most people complain about ENTs telling them there is nothing they can do. In Canada it's hard to even get to see an ENT to tell you that, most GPs just say there is nothing you can do, and not even refer you to an ENT.

16. Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I have the same thing. I can hear better when I yawn, like a lot better. Then, it's back to plugsville. Has nothing to do with popping my ears either. It's all about the pressure. What did your doc say?