Brai3n Tinnitus Clinic

Discussion in 'Support' started by drivera2592, Jul 16, 2018.

1. drivera2592
      Nerdy

drivera2592 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Hello Everyone,

Someone I met on a Facebook group mentioned the company Brai3n to me. Apparently, they've had very good results with tinnitus and I decided to email them. Please see the email below when I asked them to give me a bit more information on what they do.

https://www.brai3n.com/

upload_2018-7-16_10-23-36.png

Does anyone know anything about this company. What do you guys think? Does the Susan Shore device still look more promising?

Thanks,
      Daniel

2. Krolo

Krolo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1999 , Worse in September 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Volume
      Seems like it's De Ridder and Vanneste related if one looks at their webpage. Weren't they involved in Brai2n?

Anyway I also have emailed them since after reading Sven Vanneste's paper from March about "Thalamocortical dysrhythmia detected by machine learning" and it seems to be worth a shot. In regards to the other treatments they give I am unsure of their efficacy.

3. Bart
      Wtf

Bart Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/06/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @drivera2592 I recently was on the phone with Jan Ost, one of the staff members of Brai3n. The clinic is not far from where I live.

The treatment is rather expensive and I think the 40% stated in the email is a bit optimistic, they offer the same treatment in the UZ Hospital where I was today and they said success rate is about 1/3rd, after 6 sessions of neuromodulation, with varying degrees of relief, many of them temporary so the treatment should be repeated after a while to maybe get more permanent results.

4. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, loud rock concert
      Did anyone try and benefit from the treatment at the Brai3n centre? @Bart did you try it?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    5. AliceW

AliceW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma - loud noise
      I called the Brai3n institute, it seems to be serious. Nobody has tried it?

For hyperacusis and TTTS they invented a membrane to put on the tympanum during a period of time to relax muscles. For tinnitus, they have a treatment based on 3 things.

6. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      A few members in here have interacted with Brai3n... if you use the forum search you may be able to find some relevant posts.

7. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Couple of days ago I've sent them my QEEG brain map done in Poland for evaluation, this was instead of going to Belgium for QEEG alone. Cost of evaluation is 250 EUR, based on that they qualify for treatment or not. I need to wait around a month for them to evaluate it, they qualify around 40% of patients for the treatment which costs 1000 EUR. Treatment consists of 2-3 x 20min sessions a week for 3-4 weeks and is based on different types of neuromodulations.

8. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Might as well wait for Neuromod and the peer reviewed papers to determine the chances of it helping tinnitus - the guy Sven Vannaste from Brai2n is on the advisory board at Neuromod.

9. gorzakus

gorzakus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ?
      As far as I know they only use rTMS, no? And what are the chances of this working in the long run? Just curious.

10. gorzakus

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ?
    11. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Here are my results of QEEG analysis performed by Brai3n:

"In comparison with the normative population, the qEEG shows an increased Gamma activity at the auditory cortex. This activity can be correlated to the tinnitus sound. At the precuneus / posterior cingulate cortex the Beta activity is increased, which can mean that consious perception of the tinnitus has increased. Beta and Gamma are decreased at the left prefrontal area which can correlate with high stress levels.

The individual functional connectivity analysis shows an active Theta network at the left prefrontal cortex, this correlates with the above mentioned Beta and Gamma reduction. Beta2 shows a functional hub at the right insula which correlates with the high anxiety level in the HADS questionnaire. Gamma1 and 2 show an active network with a prominent functional hub at the auditory cortex (right) connected tot he right insula and the right prefrontal cortex.

The spectra shows a curve at the lower side of the standard deviation with a decreased Beta-power.

Conclusion:

Based on the imaging, without seeing the patient, I would expect a random tinnitus which is accentuated by a high stress level.
      "​

They want to treat me giving 40% success rate, does it make sense in your opinion?

• Like Like x 2
    12. gorzakus

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ?
      @Mentos
      Nice scientific data, but what are they gonna do about it, it's as if you didn't already know you have tinnitus that is giving you a high stress level.

And the 40 percent success level, is it temporary, that's the most important question.
      Did you ask about this?

13. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      With 40% it is rather permanent improvement Jan Ost claimed, also he said that at times they have patients fully cured but this is very rare, like 3-4 cases a year. It's not that expensive, 80 EUR per session so 8-10 sessions should be around 800 EUR total. The biggest issue for me is to travel from Poland to Belgium and the long duration of the treatment (4-5 weeks). I would like to hear some testimonies of other patients before I decide to pursue it.

• Like Like x 1
    14. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Is there any clinical study that describes and supports these numbers?

15. gorzakus

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ?
      Well I found a thread of a Dutch forum and there is a member whose tinnitus got worse after trying, it's the only thread were Brai3n is mentioned, don't want to scare you just let you know what I read. I add the link for you, it's in Dutch. He says he had two treatments with Neuromodulation by Dr Ost but quit because his tinnitus got worse and tells people to watch out.
      https://forum.nvvs.nl/forum/tinnitus/viewtopic.php?t=8343

16. gorzakus

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ?
    17. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for the warning. I'll keep the information in mind.

18. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I haven't seen any. It's just what they claim.

19. gorzakus

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ?
      @Mentos, please keep us updated, maybe something for me to try as well in the future.

• Like Like x 1
    20. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most probably I will give it a try but not sooner than in May or maybe even in July because I have no time now to travel to Belgium for 4-5 weeks.

• Like Like x 1
    21. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      • Informative Informative x 1
    22. Dr. Ancill

Dr. Ancill Member Clinician

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Digital (or Q) EEG as well as TMS (trans-cranial magnetic stimulation) have been pushed for a variety of chronic psychiatric and non-psychiatric disorders. While it is not likely that this would be useful for all, it is quite possible that it is useful for none.

There is a lot of 'snake oil' around and people selling it.

As I have said before, without a clear understanding of the pathology of tinnitus, effective treatments are unlikely.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    23. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      @Dr. Jay Hobbs says (q)EEG can measure tinnitus and is useful under the right set of circumstances. More here:
      Can EEG Measure Tinnitus? [CR Neuromodulation]...

24. gorzakus

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ?
      Thanks for your input, I see you are a psychiatrist.
      Do you happen to have experience with rTMS on patients with tinnitus,depression or anxiety problems and if yes what are findings and thoughts about this?
      It seems to be effective for some but the results are mostly temporary, is this correct?

25. Bam

Bam Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      Are we not closer to this now? Is the theory of overactive neurons in the DCN not agreed upon? Otherwise what the hell are these American universities and our little Neuromod friends over in the Emerald Isle wasting their time for?......And frankly Dr why am I still alive and burning in this noisy hell day and night?

• Hug Hug x 1
    26. Dr. Ancill

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      As you rightly point out, it is a 'theory'. No actual pathology has been reliably demonstrated.

• Useful Useful x 1
    27. Dr. Ancill

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      TMS had a big fanfare when it was introduced and as it was typically offered as a private (ie. you paid for it), there was lot of hype and exaggerated claims. After 15 years of so, the results turn out to be much less convincing and often transient.

• Informative Informative x 2
    28. Bam

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      Great. Shit. We need help so bad. People are topping themselves left right and centre because of ‘feeling sad’ and we have to try and live with this shit. I’m sure you as a psychiatrist understand how royally fucked we are. Thanks for taking an interest.

• Agree Agree x 2
    29. Bam

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      Agreed. I saw a shrink who charged me £300 for a consultation where we talked about a load of shit unrelated to my actual problem of screaming ears. He wanted to give me rTMS at £200 a session. He also wanted to start me on low dose Olanzapine. To which my response was why if the rTMS is going to get rid of the tinnitus? Oh it will help you just ‘enjoy life a bit more’ was his response. I got the fuck out of there after that.

• Like Like x 1
    30. gorzakus

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ?
      Thanks for your view on this matter, I try to understand why in Europe more and more rTMS is being promoted and given seen the lack of actual proof of its efficacy...