Brainstorm: Remove the Response and Not the Stimuli — Relief via Medicated Apathy?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by CrazyMike, Mar 5, 2017.

1. CrazyMike
      Breezy

CrazyMike Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9 months ago
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Everyone, its a pleasure to meet you. I've joined because I had the unfortunate displeasure of attaining what I believe to be Tinnitus roughly a week ago. As a 28 year old musician, I had an arbitrary curiosity as to what the highest upper frequencies sound like at the top of the human hearing limit. My curiosity led me to stumble upon a website that has individual samples of the frequencies one would hear if one were to have an audiogram. I selectively listened to the first upper tones at a low moderate volume. Then the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th tones as well, listening to each of them for only a few seconds a piece. Then eventually I listened to them from highest to low to admire the difference even more. Upon removing my headphones, I came across a hideous discovery...

The sounds that I played had been burned into my mind. Not only the sounds, but also the order to which I sampled them in. Two out of sync audiograms, one per ear, are now looping in my head. The tones alternate every 15 to 20 seconds ago, first ascending and then descending. Every time a tone changes, the next tone is brought on with a higher volume than the previous tone was on when it faded out. Needless to say, it is absolutely maddening. But one thing has been helping.

The reason Tinnitus stresses us out is NOT because we have Tinnitus. Rather, its because our brain chooses to decide to be stressed out over the fact that we have Tinnitus. Currently, we cannot cure Tinnitus. But what if instead of removing the stimulus, we removed the response instead?

For me, prescribed Vyvanse for ADD has achieved this. It causes me to feel apathetic towards negative stimuli. Since we do not focus on thoughts we don't care about, the attention immediately drives away from the stimulus and back to the thoughts that do matter. This happens with Tinnitus. I hear it, but I do not feel any stress or anxiety. This is different from habituation because this lack of stress or anxiety persists even when habituation is broken and the sound becomes louder. Because my mind does not care, it focuses away. But even if it notices its there, it doesn't care. I'm focused on it right now since I'm typing about it, but it doesn't bother me nearly as much as it should.

I've experienced this before. I have OCD and have issues with involuntarily getting stuck in obsessed thoughts. The obsessed thought stays "in check" in that its always there, and it ruins me. BUT Vyvanse makes that go away entirely. I figured if Vyvanse was efficient enough to give me relief from OCD attacks, that surely it could help w/ this. And for me, I was right. I hope that it could be right for you as well.