Breathing Stops Stereo Pulsatile?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jeff Hardy, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Jeff Hardy

Jeff Hardy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I have "stereo pulsatile tinnitus" (SPT?) meaning that the repetitious distant banging sound (bans rhythmically one second apart) is not in one ear or on one side. I discovered that all I have to do is do some deep breathing and the SPT disappears for awhile. Whatever it is, neither MRI nor brain scan discovered anything. Is this something new? Do I have PT of some kind, or is this different, not associated with PT?

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Do you notice your PT gets worse when your blood pressure rises ?....lots of love Glynis

3. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      @Jeff Hardy

I have pulsatile tinnitus, too, but only in one ear. And mine is constant, and in exact time with my pulse.

I agree with Glynis' comment: Could it be that your stereo pulsatile tinnitus occurs when your blood pressure rises?

Do you have a home blood pressure monitor? If so, try taking your blood pressure at different times of the day, and note whether the PT is occurring at those times. Then, maybe you can establish a pattern, and see if it has anything to do with elevated blood pressure. If it does, I would suggest seeing your doctor for more guidance.

Best wishes,
      Karen

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jeff Hardy

Jeff Hardy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hello Glynis and Karen: Thanks for the suggestions / comments. I have controlled blood pressure, but the stereo PT might have something to do with that. Not sure. What I am wondering is why taking deep breaths makes the SPT fade away after 8 breaths or so. Is it the oxygen getting to my brain? and if so, then what might I do to follow that lead to a clinical solution?

5. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, @Jeff Hardy

I'm not really sure why the deep breathing is helping your pulsatile tinnitus, as there are so many possible causes for PT, but it could have something to do with stress.

Here is an article about tinnitus (regular tinnitus) and deep breathing exercises:
      http://www.livestrong.com/article/551196-breathing-exercise-to-help-relieve-tinnitus/

Have you noticed that your pulsatile tinnitus is worsened when you are under stress, and could the deep breathing possibly be relieving it? Just a suggestion to ponder....

Best wishes,
      Karen

6. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I think the deep breathing lowers your heart rate and that alone will reduce the pulsitile tinnitus.
      We have a lady who comes to the tinnitus group Dot and I run and she now takes a low dose betablocker and helps her pulsitile tinnitus.
      Have a chat to your doctor of you think it could help you...lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1