Brief Numbness and Hearing Loss After Waking Up from Sleep with Ear Pressing on Pillow

Discussion in 'Support' started by IvanRus, Dec 18, 2018.

1. IvanRus

IvanRus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity
      Today a rather strange and dangerous thing happened. This was the first time in my life I experienced this.

I was even surprised and scared that this experience could be for life!

I bought myself a new sofa (couch), it is without side backrests.

When I was sleeping, my pillow was on the edge, and it could fall off the couch, since there is no side backrest.

In the morning I woke up with a strange feeling - I was lying on my left side, my ear was on a pillow, and it was not clear how, but I was lying down (squashed) on my ear.

The ear was completely numb, but the worst thing was that I did not hear through it. It was 10 seconds after I took the ear off from the pillow.

What do you think? Have you had something like this happen? Now I really worry if I could have damaged the inner ear with this.

I am also amazed that this can happen. How can you squeeze your ear against a soft pillow enough to cause numbness and deafness?!

I have never come across this before in my life.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Melanie1019

Melanie1019 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure, stress, high frequency hearing loss, bruxism. ‍♀️
      This has happened to me in the past before tinnitus and it actually happened to me today! Not sure why it happens but it is SCARY when it does. Sorry I couldn’t be of any help, but I wanted to let you know this has happened to me as well. I also wonder why.

• Hug Hug x 1