Caffeine Spike?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mike34, Jul 28, 2015.

tinnitus forum
    1. Mike34

Mike34 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Had a cup of coffee the other day and unbeknownst to me, it was made with espresso (150mg caffeine). I felt awful afterwards. Really shaky and disoriented.

Now my "static" T is in a huge spike. I almost feel like I did when T first came on, always thinking about it. I was habituated before this.

Anyone else experience this?

2. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      150 mg of caffeine really isn't that much, Less than 2 cups.

Are you a regular drinker? If not that might be the case. I find no foods/beverages do anything in regards to tinnitus.

3. Mike34

Mike34 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      I quite most caffeine when I came down with T, H, and other pain issues. I usually have a small cup of coffee in the morning (<60mg) and am fine. This cup really knocked me on my ass. I have been diagnosed with central nervous system sensitization so it could have contributed too....

4. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      Never heard of such a diagnosis before.

5. Mad maggot
      Breezy

Mad maggot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Sometimes I feel sure coffee is making my T worse and other times it doesn't seem to affect me so I can't make up my mind if coffee does or not!

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. Mike34

Mike34 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Google it, there are many articles and studies on it. It's not so much a "diagnosis" in itself, but a way to explain the pain and problems I'm having. The ultimate cause is unknown, but many different doctors have said I have CNS sensitization (cause of my pain as well as tinnitus).

7. erik
      Breezy

erik Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I drink probably 2-3 cups a day. Used to affect my T (with spikes) for the first year but now not at all

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    8. erik
      Breezy

erik Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Yup. If they can give a name to some condition whether there is a treatment or cure or whether they even know what causes it, that's enough for most people. Everything explainable or not seems to need a label.

9. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      It's one of those things that's hard to pin down; some people's nervous systems just react more strongly to stimuli than others. I don't have this diagnosis, but I had all the symptoms in spades following benzodiazepine discontinuation. It's not a smoke-and-mirrors thing, though, some imaging studies etc have been done.
      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3268359/
      I'm generally disinclined to appreciate labels in general, but when they can be tied to anatomical reality, then they have utility. Compared to something like BPD, CS is real, in that you can apparently reliably show differences in nerve function using diagnostic tests. However, I do think it's a bit of an umbrella label because it seems to encompass people who have the same reason for organic reasons (genetics, premature birth, etc) along with people who develop the same symptoms following shock or trauma.

There is a correlate between this and the physiological reactions to various drugs. Most drugs build a tolerance, where repeat doses generate a smaller and smaller effect. However, some drugs in some individuals build a reverse tolerance, where subsequent exposure causes an increased response. Amphetamines are known to behave this way, at least in some individuals.
      If I don't consume caffeine for a period of time and then jump back in at my usual dose, I react exactly as you describe -- I can become almost manic for a few hours, and then feel very shaky, anxious and dysphoric.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      Ah man it seems anything sensory-related is just a big mess to diagnose, let alone treat. Altough the article doesn't mention it, I see a lot of parallels with this condition and hyperacusis.

11. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      yup, and it would be unsurprising to me if hyperacusis is more or less a result of sensitization in specific audio pathways.

these conditions are, obviously, distressing and unpleasant, but I do enjoy learning as much as I can about the neurology -- it leads to a lot of fascinating speculation about the fundamental nature of perceptual reality.

12. Richard zurowski

Richard zurowski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      27/12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      Caffeine is a no go if you suffer with tinnitus. If you like coffee try de caffeinated coffee.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    13. click
      Busy

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      @erik

I think you just described tinnitus :) The label definitely isn't enough for me.

14. Mike34

Mike34 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Well put.

After my occipital neuralgia started, then tinnitus and hyperacusis, I started having nerve pain everywhere. Lower back, back, legs, feet, face, etc. I saw so many people and did a ton of imaging and everything was normal. They said there was really no explanation for all of the pain/tinnitus/H other than my nerves had somehow become hypersensitive.

After practicing the things I described in my H thread I successfully calmed my system down to a point where I'm sleeping well now, have less pain, and my H is way down.