Can a One-Time Cipro Dose Cause a Spike in (or Worsening of) Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mystery Reader, May 24, 2018.

1. Mystery Reader

Mystery Reader Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still Under Investigation
      Hi, folks,

I had a procedure today and the MD gave me a 250 mg tablet of Cipro to take as a precaution against infection.

It's only a one-time dose, but is a one-time dose of this stuff really enough to cause a spike in (or worsening of) tinnitus?

I've read a bunch about this online, and this seems to be one of the worst of the antibiotics. This was the only antibiotic they had at the office. Trying to decide whether to take it, take half, of skip it an hope for the best (which, I know, is a decision I have to make myself).

However, If you've had any experience with this particular drug, would appreciate any input.

Thanks!

Mystery Reader

2. Samantha R

Samantha R Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Mystery Reader
      I know a member here who received cipro (albeit IV) for an ear infection. As well as giving her tinnitus she has other side effects from it as well.
      While the chances of side effects are much lower from an oral dose, I've read enough and heard enough on this antibiotic to steer well clear.
      I would personally get another antibiotic, particularly as you need it as a precaution only.
      Furthermore, I remember reading that the FDA has recommended that the fluroquinolone class of antibiotics should be reserved for serious bacterial infections such as anthrax and pneumonia and the plague.
      Doctors need to be more aware about the dangers and I would be taking this up with the doctor before they prescribe someone who is less cautious this drug.

Last edited: May 25, 2018
    3. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2008 but cured and relapsed from benzos
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      Yes ciprofloxacin can damage ears from 1st dose

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mystery Reader

Mystery Reader Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Samantha R @1MW
      Just wanted to thank you both for your input a couple of weeks ago. I thought I had responded, but apparently I didn't!

Mystery Reader

5. annV
      Fine

annV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown - possibly hereditary
      I've never heard of one dose of cipro hurting ears... is that even possible?

6. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
    7. Samantha R

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Mystery Reader
      You are welcome. I hope I didn’t scare you, but a very good friend of mine was ‘floxed’ by cipro. She suffered not only tinnitus, but ligament damage as well. I did a lot of reading on cipro after her experience and to sum it up, it is an AB with nasty side effects.
      It’s a drug of last resort and shouldn’t be given out like candy.
      I’m not sure all doctors realise this.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mystery Reader

Mystery Reader Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Samantha R
      No worries -- your response didn't scare me! :)
      I was looking for input, and you were kind enough to respond.

Mystery Reader

• Like Like x 1
    9. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Did you end up taking the drug?

10. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      The systemic drug that is dispersed throughout the body has a very different side-effect profile from the topical ear drops, and it's important to not mix them up. Which one did your friend take?

11. Samantha R

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @GregCA
      Yes, you are absolutely right, IV would be the most potent delivery and would cause the most damage. Deb (she's on this forum) had IV Cipro and topical drops for an ear infection.

However, there are reports of people being floxed by oral cipro alone, (I don’t know about the topical drops but the OP was offered tablet form).
      I believe the FDA issued a safety notice on fluroquinolones (IV and tablet) stating the side effects to the muscles, joints, nerves and the central nervous system.
      I get concerned as to why are doctors prescribing them to patients without a serious infection?

I’d steer well clear of oral and IV though especially if there was another option available.
      I think in the case of the original poster they were offered cipro as a precaution only against infection because that was all their doctor had at their office.

It’s just scary because at one time I thought medicine just did good.
      Since having tinnitus I know that is most definitely not the case.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    12. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      @Samantha R - thanks for clarifying. It makes sense.

I had done a lot of research about the drops themselves and found lots of published studies (on pubmed) that were recommending them for the efficiency and lack of ototoxicity (if I remember correctly). That made me feel better as they were prescribed for my daughter after her ear tube surgery as well as for a middle ear infection a few months after the surgery.
      The drops do burn though (I was told by my neurotologist that it was due to the low pH) when they make their way to the middle ear (via tubes/perforations).

• Like Like x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mystery Reader

Mystery Reader Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Bill Bauer
      I did some more reading, thought it through, and ultimately decided not to take it.

• Like Like x 2