Can a Spike Appear with a Delay After Sound Exposure?

Discussion in 'Support' started by The Jordan, Oct 13, 2018.

1. The Jordan
      Sad

The Jordan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      23/06/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma (Cinema)
      I have tinnitus and hyperacusis, and today I was exposed to a loud sound (the ringing of the doorbell of my house), it was only for 3-4 secs while I was quickly walking downstairs while hearing it. I was approx. 2 meters average away from it but I felt extremely annoyed by it.

Right now my tinnitus feels more or less the same as before of this incident, maybe a little bit louder but I'm not sure.

In the past I have suffered a spike that appeared 24 hours after the exposure and not right after... how much time can pass, at a maximum, to discard a spike from that incident?

Thank you.

2. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      For most people it happens immediately after the exposure.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Yes, it can. In fact my initial acoustic trauma caused a delayed onset of tinnitus (a couple days later).

My theory for that is that sometimes the nerve connections can get damaged, but they don't die off until later. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2812055/

That being said, I don't think your doorbell would cause any damage. I've had several similar loud incidents today. :(

4. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      Not according to my Audiologist, he says there is no delay or lag, it happens on the spot. I DISAGREE with him. My spikes always happened 8 hours after exposure.

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      Hope youre well

6. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I know for sure nerves can degenerate and die off slowly following an acoustic trauma depending on the level of damage. That was demonstrated in the paper I linked above. As far as spikes, whatever causes them, I'm not sure.

I had a loud sound next to my ear in a meeting early this morning. I was sitting in the back of the meeting next to the computer and speakers and I thought I had turned the volume down when I accidentally turned it all the way up. When someone had an error message come up on the presentation computer it made a loud prompt sound not more that 6 inches away from my ear. I'm not so much worried about that incident as I am about the double ear infection I found out I have today. Sorry, off topic I know. It's been a bad day for me lol.

7. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      Yep! I get delayed spikes sometimes. Not always but I get them.
      Both T and H spikes.

• Like Like x 1