Can Ambien (Zolpidem) Worsen Your Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Lisa123, Jun 7, 2015.

1. Lisa123
      Overworked

Lisa123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I've been taking zolpidem for about two weeks now. (I've used them pre-tinnitus). Finals are coming up and I'm a sucker at sleep then (normally no problem even with T). But now these last couple of days my T has been of the charts. Could this be because of the zolpidem? If so, is it temporary?

• Genius Genius x 1
    2. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Well, since it's similar in structure as a benzo, it can rarely, I say this rarely make your tinnitus worse. It wouldn't be a temporarily increase as ototoxic medication is toxic to the hair cells in the cochlea and that would be permanent damage. But it's rare.

3. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      I've been wondering the same, but no real way to know? I do think sleep can affect tinnitus a great deal as mine is very bad today too. I've been on Zolpidem before and after tinnitus for many years. It's very tough to get off of, but probably a good idea long term.

4. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzos are not directly ototoxic, there is no research anywhere to indicate that they damage the cochlea. The mechanism by which they cause tinnitus is thought to be downregulation of, or structural changes to, GABA receptors in the DCN and possibly other places in the brain.

Z-drugs like ambien probably do cause tinnitus by the same mechanism, and in the vast majority of cases I am aware of, this is a temporary effect related to tolerance to, or withdrawal from, these drugs.

There is very limited evidence to suggest that abrupt, rapid discontinuation of these drugs might cause actual damage to the vestibular system, but that risk can be minimized by slowly tapering off the drug.

The majority of people I have communicated with over the years who experienced tinnitus as a result of benzo problems, fall into two groups: people for whom the tinnitus was a short-lived effect of withdrawal which resolved in a matter of weeks, and people who took 1-3 years for the symptom to fade. There are unfortunate people who have long-term tinnitus after benzo or z-drug discontinuation, but in general this relates to very long term or high dose use, cold-turkey withdrawals, or both.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    5. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I'm not sure where to put this, but I was taking ambien for seep first few weeks after my T onset. One thing I noticed was if I took an ambien but stayed awake my tinnitus faded into the background. I didn't feel groggy, I just felt normal, more calm, and my T was easily drown out with background noise, I would have to cover my ears and listen closely to hear the T (which is normally an unmaskable 24/7 constant sound. Of course this is only temporary, and waking up the next morning my T was in full gear. Has anyone else noticed that?

6. Zorro!
      Wtf

Zorro! Member

I've found Ambien (small, small dose) helps keep my T calm during the next day. No prob on waking, thank God.

7. Cush

Cush Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I have been using Ambien for five years, but now I have to take more throughout the night to go back to sleep. I want to completely wean off it, but my pt keeps me awake. Any suggestions?

8. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I used to take ambien years ago before T, then I got off it.

People build up a tolerance to ambien, if you want to avoid this don't take it every night. Cycle off of it for the weekends or when you don't have to have a full nights wrest. This isn't really an option if you have been on it for years, but I have talked with people that have reset their tolerance by staying off of it for weeks.

Maybe you could try taking less and less, or at least less on nights where sleep isn't as critical?

9. Zorro!
      Wtf

Zorro! Member

My doc told me that Ambien is only to be used "as needed" and not on a nightly basis. Do you take it every single day?

10. william adams
      Wishful

william adams Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one week after leg surgery plus hearing loss in higher freq.
      Never had sleeping issues until I developed T 5 monthes ago. I take 1/2 of a 5mg melatonin time release and 1/2 of an ambien nightly. I put the other half of the ambien at my bedside. In about 4 hours I wake up and take the other half and sleep 4 more hours and feel well rested in the morning. I am doing better adjusting or some what hibituating and plan to try to get off the ambien when I feel comfortable doing it. I found if I take a whole ambien I still wake up in 4 hours and then cat nap {Not solid sleep}

11. Jett

Jett Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Post concussion syndrome
      Ditto on this, I'll take 1/2 for 4 hours sleep,usually it's loud but cuts thru it,Then go Pee ,(due to BPH)then take other half and pray for sleep maybe 2-3 more,the zolpidem is only drug I've found that usually quiets the T the first 4 hrs but sometimes I'll wake up with it blasting again not sure why
      It may be ringing when I wake after the second round ,on good nite it will just be a hiss in the AM for a few hours.each nite is a fight for sleep...

12. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I was on it for about 6 weeks but did reduce to half a tablet or miss nights.
      The doctor said he won't keep me on it and changes me over to a low AD nortryptaline and sleeping well now and it's helped my tinnitus....lots of love glynis

13. Jett

Jett Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Post concussion syndrome
      Glynis
      I tried Nortryptaline also for AD also but it didn't work for helping sleeping anywhere as well as Z. Tried several but can't find An SSRI SNRI that I can seem to tolerate the nausea or i get increased Anxiety ,tricyclics mess with urinary , T induced anxiety is awful ,only help with that so far has been with Klonopin