Can Anyone Recommend a Good Pair of Ear Muffs for Hyperacusis?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Aaron91, Feb 8, 2021.

1. Aaron91
      Gloomy

Aaron91 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/headphones/concerts - Hyperacusis from motorbike
      So I’ve been wearing ear defenders now for the last 9 months but I’m beginning to wonder whether these might be aggravating my trigeminal neuralgia symptoms as they’re quite tight and not the most comfortable things to wear. They also look ridiculous lol.

I’m looking for something a bit more comfortable and gentle but with the same degree of protection - at least 30 dB or more. Any recommendations?

2. twa
      Busy

twa Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2017- mild /Sept. 2020-moderate
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      meds/acoustic trauma
      That was my concern with wearing ear muffs. I alternate between foam ear plugs and musician's earplugs. Foam seem more comfortable.

3. iGL0CK
      Thinking

iGL0CK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (punk rock show)
      The problem is ear muffs have to be really tight to work. Even your hair under earmuffs reduce their effectiveness.

I have problem with them too. My jaw hurts after a while (TMJ) and my ears are in pain because of feeling pressure like being constantly under water (ETD).

4. SibilantRange

SibilantRange Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hyperacusis on/off
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma
      Earasers Standard.

It attenuates peaks, it's great for not overprotecting, they are invisible to others as well.
      Super comfortable.

Here are the attentions. As you can se upper mids/lower treble is peak attenuated vs mean.

It helps me listen to music too. It's like a smoothing EQ right at your ear.

20210209_172004.jpg

20210209_171914.jpg