Can Cough Syrup Worsen Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by arctic loon, Sep 25, 2015.

1. arctic loon
      Dreaming

arctic loon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music
      So I'm new here, hey all :D

So i've been in flu this week and decided to take some cough syrup for my horrible cough. The syrup contained DXM (Dextromethorphan). I have used the same brand before but that was a long ago before T. I took only 10 ml, as the instructions said and didn't take any more doses (since I read cough medication is pretty needless anyways). So at night it felt like my T got louder in my left ear, which is weird because I thought right is the worst ear right now. I think the volume level is still a bit up, but again I'm still a bit sick but I'm getting better.

It feels just a weird coincidence that the ear started freaking out the same day. I have been really stressed this week bc T is new stuff for me and I'm trying hard to cope with it. I think the stress could play a role in here too? It's been harder to sleep at night and I've started waking up at night again which sucks. But I'm positive that I'll get my sleeping under control soon since now I'm feeling better mentally ;) Sometimes chilling is really hard :confused: I just hope my ears could get a bit better, especially the leftie :I

Is the change in my T because of the medicine or the flu or am I just paranoid? Do you have similar experiences? It would be really great if someone could help!

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      As warm welcome to the forum,
      I'm sure it's from the flu virus making your ears loud.
      Try a bowl of hot water and a towel steam inhalation will help clear your tubes .
      A mucous linctus should help you.
      Lots of rest and if a little low that a virus can make you feel,lots of me time and some lovely treats ...lots of love glynis

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      arctic loon
      Dreaming

arctic loon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music
      Thanks for your kind words glynis! I'm almost back at normal health but my tubes sure are a bit full. Maybe I really should try some steam inhalation. Thanks for advice :LOL:

4. Neyma

Neyma Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm having a dry cough with a tinnitus crisis at the moment. Want to go buy some cough syrups but not sure what to get because it might spike up the T.
      Can anyone suggest an OTC that might help and be safe.