Can Damage Caused by Barotrauma Be Delayed?

Discussion in 'Support' started by __nico__, Feb 13, 2021.

1. __nico__
      No Mood

__nico__ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      chemo/barotrauma/noise/autoimmune disorder
      Can damage caused by barotrauma be "delayed" in the same way tinnitus spikes can start days or even months after noise exposure?

I did have a severe barotrauma in 2019 whilst descending a mountain, I was stone cold deaf for like 2 weeks and then everything slowly came back, and I got my "first" tinnitus not long after that, to this day has never once changed: A 2000 Hz pure tone that's easily maskable.

Could it have caused preconditions for structural damage in the ear to occur, like hydrops or, more extreme, otosclerosis? In November 2020 when I began to experience many many new tinnitus tones that were off the walls loud this was catalyzed by a slap on the ear, and rebound inflammation from prednisone. Which then morphed into dysacusis, noxacusis, diplacusis, vertigo, balance issues, facial paralysis, etc...

In addition I also have a similar question regarding chemotherapy. in 2003 I went through 6 rounds of chemotherapy which resulted in some profound hearing loss in upper frequencies. My hearing slowly declined in the years after it, but then stabilised afterwards for about 14 years or so, until now, I have seemingly every hearing, vision, vestibular problem under the sun.

I am a musician so obviously noise contributed to some of these problems but there's noway these problems are solely caused from noise exposure. Seashell sounds, visual snow, vertigo, low reactive tinnitus tones, fluctuating dysacusis, frequent pressure changes and being unable to equalize pressure.

Noise exposure doesn't impact my condition at all, diet and medications have the most immediate effect, I have some slight recoveries every now and then but things later take a turn for the worse. I really am considering that I have hydrops given this history.

• Good Question Good Question x 2