Can Earplugs Protect You from Tinnitus Worsening in a Loud Environment?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Geo Martinez, Jul 4, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. Geo Martinez

Geo Martinez Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      I'm 15 years young and still wanna experience activities that involve noise but have no problem about ear plugs, just wanna take care of my ears and I don't want my tinnitus to worsen.

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. glynis-harbron
      Feminine

glynis-harbron Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Get a good pair of noise reduction plugs for a few pound and keep away from loud speakers and you won't go far wrong.....lots of love glynis

3. Geo Martinez

Geo Martinez Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      What's a good pair and today I went to the 4th of July parade and my T kinda spiked so I went inside a 7-11 I was at the parade but wearing ear plugs the whole time except when I was in 7-11 my T still spiked" ?!?! You think I hurt my ears even more or idk i even wear headphones that weren't turn on over my ear plugs but there was noises such as, horns,sirens, bands, engines and music

4. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term NIHL and recent acoustic trauma
      I'd say plugs need to be insterted correctly to really cut out noise
      The foam ones need to be set deep into the ear canals
      you can double up wiht ear muffs like the peltor x series

5. Nonna
      Barefooter

Nonna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/17/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Allergies
      At 15 you will more than likely heal from this spike. Sorry it happened. Use a heating pad to bring it down. You need to wear protection for 6months at loud places. If u do anymore fireworks wear plugs and muffs.

6. Vaba
      Shitfaced

Vaba Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Gradual, Progressive
      Yeah man! If you go to a concert or some shit, plug 'em. Most foam earplugs reduce volume by 25-33dB which is more than enough to protect you from damage. Most rock venues reach MAXIMUM noise levels of 110dB. 110-33 = 77dB. Even if you wear musicians plugs, which reduce up to 25dB, you'll still be safe, because 110-25 = 85, the max. safe dB level, and with a good pair of musician's plugs you won't lose sound quality like you do with foam plugs.

I protected myself from insanely loud noise and, though I have tinnitus for some reason, my hearing is 95% or greater intact and I can still enjoy loud music.

Don't over-protect and wear earplugs in environments that are not dangerous in levels of noise (anything below motorcycle levels of loudness is generally fine for 24/7 exposure). You'll look like an idiot.

7. glynis-harbron
      Feminine

glynis-harbron Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      You should be ok but always use good protection around loud sounds ....lots of love glynis

8. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise..no idea.. unicorns?
      Of course. Hearing damage is all basic Math. If you can reduce the DB enough then hearing damage won't happen. AS others have said, just don't overdo it as I've had 3 audiologists tell me you will either develop or make hypercusious worse if you wear plugs for normal for normal sounds. Only wear them for clubs, concerts etc.

9. Bobby B
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You won't develop hyperacusis or make it worse by wearing plugs even in total silence

Millions sleep or work with plugs on for extended time for various reasons and hyperacusis has not become an issue at all

In fact ear plugs or ear muffs have been around for over a century and we don't have anyone who developed any permanent change just by wearing those

No scientific study ever mentioned anything close to that

• Agree Agree x 3
    10. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      You can't just subtract the decibels, so don't feel super secure in the plugs and do something stupid like stick your head in a kick drum with them in.

That said at your age you're probably fine to go to many loud places with proper protection. Buck up and get custom molds for your ears from a audiologist. It's money I wish I spent as a teenager; my hearing would be perfect.

• Agree Agree x 2
    11. Bobby B
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      How come we never saw any warning like - failure to remove your hearing protection in silent environments may cause permanent hyperacusis - on any hearing protection packages ?

Because the risk does not exist

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wearing plugs constantly can trigger a neurosis about normal level sound.

Sorry, Bobby - but in this community it's generally accepted as true that overprotection fosters hyperacusis

You're probably correct it won't hurt much for the average joe, but since most of our auditory systems are a bit frazzled things behave differently.

13. Bobby B
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ok you mean a psychological fear of noise - maybe some mentally unstable people may get to this mental state but it has nothing to do with the inner ear structure or any permanent damage that may occur

Besides the average bedroom noise level is far less than why you get wearing plugs around town so what do you suggest ? Play music all the time to avoid silence ?

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. Zora
      Kick ass

Zora Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1st time: Megaphone ;2nd time: headphones too loud
      @Vaba when you say u still expose urself to loud music..do you mean clubs??

15. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      No no no... I can't believe people are still not getting it... 33db ear plugs will reduce noise by about 12.5 dB. 110-12.5=97.5

16. Bobby B
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      So that's not hyperacusis at all.

H is not a simple fear of noise !
      Go shoot a few rounds of large caliber gun or rifle without hearing protection and you will quickly realize what H is...

17. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      no thank you.

18. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
    19. Bobby B
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:

He bathed himself using sanitary wipes.

He took Remeron to treat his depression and insomnia.

Like I mentionned ..for mentally unstable people phonophobia can be an issue its not just simple H.
      This link goes about an extreme phonophbia-mental case not the average person here.

It is difficult -- if not impossible -- to determine the particular contributions of physical vs. psychological components to this patient's condition

20. Foncky
      Doubtful

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      An explosion, music, and fate.
      People won't get it if you don't explain. I don't. Tell us more please.

• Like Like x 1
    21. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:

I can't tell if you're just trolling - but I'd actually like an explanation here also. I actually doubt that math is even accurate.

A decibel is not a standard unit. 33 decibels between 120 and 153 is massively different than between 60 and 93. How can you get a clear indication?

22. Foncky
      Doubtful

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      An explosion, music, and fate.
      Not trolling. I know ear plugs are not exact sciences but saying 33dB = 12.5 dB is kind of... weird !

23. doiglas short

doiglas short Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7 months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      drummer in band and toxic paimt daytime and freind died
      to late for me im a idiot

24. foryourinfo

foryourinfo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Long time
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Something
      Between these two alternatives: noise exposure vs. sitting in a quiet room - which one caused hyperacusis in the first place?

Apparently, critical thinking is not the forté of members here...

• Agree Agree x 1
    25. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possibly noise
      This, basically! :)

Start with those foam plugs that block the ear canal completely. Make sure you insert them correctly. Now you should be safe for all but the loudest sounds. These don't make you invincible, though, so don't go near club/concert loudspeakers or crash cymbals. If you can, take breaks.

If you need to hear the music or conversation more clearly, you may want to get musician's plugs. Either custom ones or off-the-shelf ones. Note that these don't attenuate the high frequencies as much, so be careful!

26. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      People generally accept a lot of bull, doesn't make it true though. Enough people repeat the same thing enough times and everyone believes it.

• Agree Agree x 1