Can Earwax Make Tinnitus Higher Pitched?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Alexiskaye, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Alexiskaye
      Alone

Alexiskaye Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/15/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High Frequency Hearing Loss
      Just curious. I ask a lot of questions but recently it just seems to be a lot louder. My ears feel clogged. Could also be my period.

2. Samantha R

Samantha R Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Alexiskaye
      Yes it could be your period.
      Mine is louder just before and during my period.
      Ear wax can also make your tinnitus worse. A GP can have a quick look and tell you if you have a build up of wax

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alexiskaye
      Alone

Alexiskaye Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/15/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High Frequency Hearing Loss
      How long do your spikes last with period? I've been pretty inconsistent with my birth control and right now I'm on my period and it seems soooo loud! Usually my T is lower pitched but it's just such a loud "eeeee" noise. What is yours like?

4. Samantha R

Samantha R Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Alexiskaye
      Maybe 7-10 days, can be longer.

I'm mostly habituated to my tinnitus so I don't pay attention to it during the day and it's mostly mildish anyway so not audible unless I am in a quiet room or stop what I'm doing and listen for it. It is definitely louder at night and reasonably mild in the morning.
      During my period though, it can be annoying enough to make me mask at night and mask while watching TV as I still haven't been able to break the habit of measuring whether I can hear it over the TV or not....!!!!

I'm not on birth control pills though, but perhaps it's worth researching whether people report that their tinnitus is worse on birth control pills.

I've decided that I won't go on the pill again (and after three IVF babies I most likely don't need to), and the reason is that I am concerned that it might mess with my tinnitus. I'm OK with it as it stands, and as I strongly believe there is some element of a hormonal link to my tinnitus - both by my cycle and the fact that it came on 1 month after the birth of my twins - I don't want to mess with those hormones anymore!

This may not be the case for you though, as everyone is obviously different. If you search this forum though, you will see a lot of women say that the intensity of their tinnitus varies with their cycle.

As for my sound, it's a head noise (not in my ears).... at it's worst, it's a high pitch hiss, heard mostly in the left side of my head..... I absolutely cannot be in a quiet room as it feels like it takes over my whole head.... makes me shudder to think about it! Usually the hiss is quieter, or not really there and I hear a lower tone in my left ear and my right ear.... I suspect I've had these for a long time and never really noticed them as they are so soft and very tolerable.

I'm happy to hear these as it means the hiss is behaving! It's more the pitch of the hiss I can't stand and not so much the volume.

• Like Like x 1