Can Eating Disorders Cause Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by FeliciaTheWhite, Jun 15, 2021.

1. FeliciaTheWhite
      Panicky

FeliciaTheWhite Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Recently I've been more aware of my tinnitus, and since it never really caused me much distress I never gave much thought to what the cause might have been.

But I've been thinking a lot lately, and I'm curious to know, if being very underweight and barely eating can be a reason for my tinnitus - the sounds have been somewhat louder and much more noticeable lately, and it happens to be lining up with a time where I'm having an extra hard time eating.

I'm not sure, but I do think that the ringing began around the same time as I started to notice other symptoms due to the lack of proper eating, such as hair thinning.

Is this something that's heard of?

I've got an appointment with my doctor tomorrow, and I hope to get things more under control.

2. Foamearplugssuck
      Angry

Foamearplugssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/26/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Doing concert photography
      It's hard to say, but I wouldnt be surprised if your ED played a role in your tinnitus. I got my tinnitus from concerts, but I was at my lowest weight during that time, and I've always thought that had something to do with it. When you restrict, your body gets stressed out, and stress is definitely a tinnitus trigger. So I've always felt that maybe if I wasn't malnourished, I may have recovered from my tinnitus because my brain would've had more bandwidth to deal with tinnitus since it wasn't trying so hard to keep me alive, if that makes sense.