Can I Imagine Tinnitus?!

Discussion in 'Support' started by Komodo, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Komodo
      Disappointed

Komodo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music/Stress
      Hi...I'm kind of back on this forum...I thought the noises in my ears were gone but they aren't...

Anyway I'm 15 years old and I wanna know if you can imagine tinnitus cause it's super weird for me...

When I wake up I don't hear it, when I'm somewhere silent, the moment I think if the noises are gone they appear...

Also, when I start to hear noises again (I'm saying noises cause mine are very weird, it's not buzzing, hissing, ringing etc I can't describe it it's so strange) I plug my ears with my fingers and I can't hear it anymore...

I don't know what to think anymore lol I know it's stupid

2. Elfin
      Wishful

Elfin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      There is certainly something in this. I can hear sounds that as soon as I try and listen out for them in quiet spaces then disappear! I do have a hissing and a ringing, but I hear/imagine a saw like noise, or an all-encompassing splitting ring, which then causes significant stress and panic.

3. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Komodo

It is possible to imagine tinnitus. Tests have been done on people that have been placed in a sound proof room and they hear tinnitus. Caused by the brain focusing on background noise within the human body. As your tinnitus was caused by loud music that seems to have reduced now. I strongly advise you not to listen to audio through headphones even at low volume. I also advise you to avoid quite rooms and surroundings during the day and especially at night. Use a sound machine at night by your bedside.

If you continue to seek out quite surroundings and listen in to your tinnitus, even though it's low at the moment your brain could gradually make it louder over time. It is best to have low level music on in the background during the day and stop focusing on listening to tinnitus. Please read my article: Tinnitus, A Personal View. Click on the link below. Try to read it in full and not skim through it.

Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

• Informative Informative x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Komodo
      Disappointed

Komodo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music/Stress
      Kind of a weird way to say it but 5 months ago I went to an ENT cause I thought that I had T. She said that everything is ok and I should calm down. Now the thing is from time to time I hear some static noise in my ears but it's very mild.

I stopped listening to music through earphones cause that seemed to start my T but still I can sleep just as well as I did without having those static noises, and pretty much do all of the things I used to except listening to loud music.

Also when I'm in a quiet area I can hear those noises but after a while I can't and when I plug my ears with my fingers I can't hear those sounds anymore.

If those noises don't bother me and don't affect me do I have T in the first place ?

5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It looks like you have very mild/minor T. Make sure you protect your ears, otherwise it could get louder.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      I've already done this. Is there a way to reverse this?

7. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I don't understand what you mean...?

• Like Like x 1
    8. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Thanks for the reply. I focused on it and I think it made it louder. Will stopping this help reduce it?

9. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Yes it will....

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    10. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since: