Can I Mentally Make My Tinnitus Go Away?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Egg, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Egg

Egg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma (Concert)
      So I'm wondering do you guys think it's possible for me to heal my tinnitus with the right mindset.

I'm just having a pretty bad time coping right now (although I should be used it, it's been 6 months). I do have a diagnosis for moderate depression and anxiety. My anxiety is severely worsened by tinnitus and I would assume vice versa. My ENT even claimed that my hearing was so good that my tinnitus cannot have been hearing loss related (although it did onset after acoustic trauma so that sounds like a pretty bad assumption).

I've just always linked it to the physical damage but I don't know if I should start looking somewhere else for relief and potential decrease.

Is there anybody on here who is suffering from depression and anxiety and has developed good ways to cope/reduce tinnitus?

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I don't think you can cure T or make T go away with your mindset, but your mindset will influence how you cope with it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. -serotonin-
      Frantic

-serotonin- Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 20, 2018 (probably?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No clue.
      I think if you seek help to lessen the anxiety specifically related to it, it might lessen enough that you forget it exists and it'll be almost like you don't have it. If I don't think about it, it practically goes away until I think "huh, I wonder if my T is still there" and then it's back.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Egg

Egg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma (Concert)
      Yeah I feel like there is almost always background noise that I succesfully cancel out because I don’t think about it or have anxiety around it so why not this as well.

5. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      Six months isn't nearly long enough for most of us to sufficiently adjust to it, so you should see further improvements gradually. I've had tinnitus for 18 months and I'm far less aware of it than I was one year ago.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. dougwarby

dougwarby Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I feel the same, I've had my tinnitus for nearly 3 weeks. It fouctfluct from mild and easily tolerable to more disturbing. Likewise I have anxiety and depression and am trying mindfulness and relaxation.

7. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hi @Egg,

Good question about whether a person can "mentally" make their tinnitus go away. I'm inclined to believe humans have more control over their lives than they give themselves credit for. And so I'm open to whether somebody can actually mentally (or even by using their imagination or changing their belief system) make their tinnitus go away.

Re: your question about ways to cope/reduce tinnitus. -- I shared some of my thoughts on spiritual and/or energetic techniques in THIS POST, which has links to three other posts of mine. -- All the Best!

• Informative Informative x 1
    8. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      yes that was a horrible assumption and wrong, the tonal audiogram only test up to 8khz and doesn't test for speech in background noise.
      http://hyperacusisfocus.org/innerear/#hiddenloss

and no, there isn't evidence you can mentally make tinnitus go away, you'd need to cure the hearing loss which you can't.

9. New Guy
      Doh

New Guy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      @Egg

Depression and anxiety make everything worse. A small bump in the road becomes a big one. Perhaps if you focus on helping the depression and anxiety you'll be less affected by the tinnitus. I know it's easier said than done but worth a try.

Can you go for some walks on nice days? Do something you enjoy for a little while? Get some meds if they help?

Masking is our friend when you'll be in one place for a while.

Good luck!

10. Redocooked
      Insomnious

Redocooked Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Work related Trama/stress
      I've been able to push it in the background, even in quiet rooms on very rare occasions.

As for looking for relief since it's physical and with no hearing loss, maybe check with a dentist to do a xray of your jaw and teeth. See if you have TMJ and if not then maybe your C1 and C2 (neck) is misaligned and is pressuring your nerves.

11. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      he does have hearing loss, he got it from a concert, audiograms are inaccurate. Read my post above.