Can I Use Headphones for Masking and Tinnitus Relief?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Voice of jack, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Voice of jack
      Mellow

Voice of jack Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 29th 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not known but had an ear infection and hearing loss
      Hi,
      I find sleeping hard, the tinnitus keeps me awake and wakes me up if I manage to get to sleep. To help I've downloaded some sleep apps, nature, sea, rivers, birds etc, along with a couple of hypnosis apps. Could anyone advise me on the best type of headphones to use and what volume. I currently using ear buds and tend to have them on high volume to mask out the tinnitus

. I have read that you should not use headphones for Tinnitus relief, any help or advice would appreciated.

Kind regards to all.

2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I'd suggest Bose Noise Cancelling headphones. I use those and ATH-50M depending on my activity.

Whatever you use, keep the volume reasonable. You may be tempted to increase the volume to mask your T, but that may take you into dangerous territory.

Good luck.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Voice of jack
      Mellow

Voice of jack Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 29th 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi,

Thank you for the advice, very much appreciated.

All the best.

4. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Have you considered using a sound machine or even your phone on your nightstand? I say that because 1) it must be uncomfortable sleeping with headphones and 2) headphones are not recommended for those with noise induced tinnitus. If you're concerned about others hearing your masking sounds, you might want to consider a pillow speaker. Just remember, as Greg suggested, keep the volume lower than that of your tinnitus.

5. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      Do you want to get severe tinnitus? do you want to make things much worse than they already are?

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Voice of jack
      Mellow

Voice of jack Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 29th 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you I thought headphone were a no no I will look a pillow speaker or use my phone through a Bluetooth speaker.

Many thanks.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Please keep in mind that some may say that a pillow speaker can have the same adverse effect as headphone use if you're a side sleeper.

8. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Pillow speakers are better for night time use giving your ears a rest if use ear or headphones.
      You can get a pillow with a speaker in it or two speakers to fit under your pillow.
      I have a triangle speaker with sound coming out of the three sides and fits under my pillow and works fine.
      It is all about what works best for you ...
      Love glynis x

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Voice of jack
      Mellow

Voice of jack Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 29th 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi,
      As I said before I’m new to tinnitus and this forum, but I’m encouraged by the support and information and replies from members.
      Thank you Glynis and MichaelB for advice. Alll the replies indicate it would be bad for my ears to continue to use any type of head phones. I have another acupuncture treatment booked for this afternoon this will be my second with this practitioner, I’ve had no noticeable improvement after my first sessions but it’s early days. I have an appointment with my Doctor on Tuesday to see what she suggests. I appreciate that a lot of you are long term sufferers but when it first strikes it’s devastating as the T is relentless.

Take every one.

The voice of Jack.

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Voice of jack
      Mellow

Voice of jack Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 29th 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi, and thank you all for replies.

Thanks Glynis I will try under pillow speakers, what is best stuff to listen to, I have tried hypnosis but after a few times they don’t work and I hear the T over the voice. I have tried masking sounds but these cause the T to compete with them and the T wins. I have tried radio but again the T dominates the conversation. However, I am using ear bud type head phones which may be the problem. Should I not use any form of headphone? And suggestions of what I should listen to? As I said I’m new to T and am very frustrated, annoyed the old saying my wife doesn’t understand is exactly the correct saying regarding my T she can’t see it and of course can’t hear it.

Best wishes to you all.

The Voice of Jack.

11. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Voice of jack,
      I would say any music you like that relaxes you.
      Try sleep music or try the Relax and Sleep Ap
      Love glynis

12. Jcb
      No Mood

Jcb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possible TMJ, came on after severe cold and chest infection,
      I use a app on my iPad called “white noise” I use 3 different sounds.... heartbeat, Tibetan bowl and oceon waves without earphones it’s just on my night stands a low volume.

The 3 combined make an oddly satisfying noise and does help to mask the T a tiny bit as I still wake up countless times in the night and takes a while to actually drift off.
      I can’t even try and fall asleep without any relaxing noises in the background so thought I’d share the app I find useful.

• Like Like x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Voice of jack
      Mellow

Voice of jack Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 29th 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi All,

Thanks for the advice on apps, I’ve downloaded a few but need to get the right one or mix. I will look on App Store on my Apple phone, I tried a couple hypnosis apps but my mind gets used to it and my tinnitus fights the app and now wins. I can’t even contemplate sleeping without listening to something, it’s just getting the right sounds. I’ve this minute tried a sample of a mindfulness and although it didn’t mask the T it strangely moved the focus from my T to my surroundings so I will definitely explore mindfulness further. Has anybody had experience with mindfulness and had positive results.

Best regards.

The voice of Jack.

• Like Like x 1
    14. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Masking should be at a slightly lower level than your tinnitus Jack. And I would suggest not using ear buds but an over the ear type of headset. A good sound pillow is a great idea.

Find what works the best for you.

Yes. Not a cure, but a great coping skill for anxiety.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Voice of jack
      Mellow

Voice of jack Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 29th 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for the reply, I will adjust the volume. I’ve just found a great app on the apple App Store called Tinnitus Threapy it is just sound the one I found to mask my T, is called Full Spectrum White Noise. For the moment acutualy works well in masking my T.

Best regards

Jack.

16. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      That is great Jack. Just find what helps your tinnitus and use it. Sometimes you may need to change sounds a few times.

17. Tommi_boi
      Thinking

Tommi_boi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/04/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I would suggest avoiding headphones altogether.

I’m sure you have come across a few @Michael Leigh posts, he is somebody that has had Tinnitus and as a result has become a somewhat of an expert at the topic.

His personal recommendation is to avoid headphones totally. I have done this since an onset of T from playing in bands when I was younger and have largely lived a T free life (despite having sound sensitivity from earlier acoustic trauma) and so am inclined to agree that this is a genuine way of avoiding risking further irritation to your ears - I still miss headphones a lot though as an avid music listener!

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Voice of jack
      Mellow

Voice of jack Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 29th 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi

For the first time since the short time I’ve had tinnitus I slept very well I did not use headphones or ear Apple buds, I just put a blue tooth speaker by my pillow and played white noise——It worked I slept all night without the T bothering me wonderful I will try it again tonight.

Thank you all for the advice the suppprt from this site is unbelievable.
      Kind regards.

Jack.

• Like Like x 1