Can Neck/Shoulder Tension Cause Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Paul10, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Paul10

Paul10 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Hi all, I've been trying to figure exactly what caused my T. I've suffered untreated anxiety/depression for a long time before T and my hearing therapist thinks this is what caused my T since my hearing is very good.

One of the effects of anxiety is a lot of tension. I also have tension in my shoulders due to work and the position I'm in. I suffer muscular pain in my back every so often, always at the top and along my shoulders which takes a few days to go away. Makes it hard and painful to turn my head. It usually hits me waking up but it's not my bed as it's happened in other beds.

I'm naturally always tense in the shoulders and have to consciously realise I'm doing it before relaxing my shoulders and back. I also know my posture isn't great. My T is multi-tonnal, in both ears and head.

Was just wondering if this could be contributing to my T? Anyone have any knowledge of this? Thanks a lot!

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi @Paul10,
      Anxiety can cause tinnitus and also neck problems can cause it too !
      Getting help for your depression and anxiety and some physio should help calm it down for you...
      Anxiety can cause and make tinnitus worse so the more relaxed you are the better....
      Keep posting for support...lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Paul10

Paul10 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Thanks very much @glynis ! I've never been to a physio because of some of the negative stories I've read on here about them, but I've emailed one and he seemed genuine and wanted to evaluate my back/posture to see if he could help. I'll see about arranging something with him and booking in for a back and neck massage somewhere; thanks!

• Like Like x 1
    4. Kelvin

Kelvin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Work
      It can most definitely be linked to neck and jaw. I have never suffered from anxiety or depression ( luckily...) but I got T after a dental treatment. The drill was very loud, but I am convinced it was the sustained pressure on my jaw ( for about 45 mins ) that caused the problem. Still have it 9 months later. I say, give it a go @Paul10 what do you have to loose ? If you go in negative and then get worried guaranteed it will get worse regardless of the quality of treatment. Stay positive Bro and all will be cool...!

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Paul10

Paul10 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Thanks @Kelvin , really appreciated it; I keep telling myself, if it came out of the blue, it can go away out of the blue. It's changed before. I really think my T is due to something going on in my head or something to do with my nervous system, given that the noise is in both ears and head and I have good hearing. I'm going to ask my GP if I can stop Zoloft as I just seem to have gotten worse (although I'm not rockbottom mood-wise like I was, so it's a catch-22). Thanks for the positive words - this place has kept me going more than once. Good luck!