Can Prednisone Worsen Noise-Induced Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by The Jordan, Oct 6, 2018.

1. The Jordan
      Sad

The Jordan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      23/06/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma (Cinema)
      I am considering taking Prednisone after a spike with huge pain that I had 2 weeks ago, but after reading some people's posts here, I wonder if Prednisone can increase Noise-Induced Tinnitus?

And if so, will the increase be permanent or only temporary?

2. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      A lot of people say it increases temporarily.
      It can increase permanently but only seen one person around who has. @IvanRus how are you doing? Did our pred spike ever go away?

3. Cape crusader
      Cool

Cape crusader Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/18/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Microsuction ear wax removal
      I’ve been on prednisone this week for another issue and has definitely spiked by tinnitus. I wouldn’t take it again.

4. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It increased mine but only for a week.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      The Jordan
      Sad

The Jordan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      23/06/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma (Cinema)
      Well, some people here says to take prednisone asap after an acoustic trauma, and others says that prednisone has temporary increase their Tinnitus... I dont sure what should I do.

6. kmohoruk
      Nerdy

kmohoruk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2005
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise, Ear Infection, TMJ
      I’m in that same boat my friend. It’s a tough call

7. Plainsman

Plainsman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure, potentially from shooting range
      What did you wind up doing? Just found this thread. I’m in the same quandary. Just now 12 days into tinnitus and hearing loss, so I feel like my window of opportunity is closing quickly.

8. quietmedic

quietmedic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma + Car horn
      What did you end up doing?

9. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

I don’t know that mine is noise induced. Prednisone completely stopped my “head” tinnitus though and stopped my left ear for a time and quieted my right. I am already currently on clonazepam, but there was a definite beneficial effect. I was taking it for an unrelated contact dermatitis. It was a taper pack. Not high dose. I think 4mg pills. 6-5-4-3-2-1 reduction over 6 days.

10. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      inflammation. You can modulate your tinnitus with your neck? Physio for neck and posture. Greg Sacramento knows all about this stuff. Try acupuncture and sacrocranial massage.

11. Mathieulh
      No Mood

Mathieulh Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/24/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Chronic headphones use and acute noise induced trauma.
      No it wouldn't increase your tinnitus, but Prednisone will not have any long term lasting effect 30 days after the onset, whereas it will have many detrimental side effects upon chronic use (osteopenia, muscle loss, reduced adrenals, panic attacks, anxiety...)

• Winner Winner x 1
    12. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

The head tinnitus never came back. The quieting effect for the right ear went away and the left ear started acting up again.

13. MattS
      Balanced

MattS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools
      It can increase temporarily. This can occur as you begin the drug, as it continues to ramp up in your body, or sometimes during the taping off period (particularly if you taper too quickly).

Almost every account I've heard of, and almost every account ever written about, claim that this increase is temporary. In my case, it went away within a couple of days of the drug leaving my body. It's impossible to guarantee that it could never be permanent... but almost all documentation suggests that this is unlikely.

14. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

I’ve tried acupuncture. Didn’t have any effect for me unfortunately. I’m working on posture and stretches. Trying to stick to mostly anti-inflammatory diet.

I can modulate my tinnitus with my neck, jaw, eyes, and pressure points on my head.
      I asked the prospective surgeon about that for my osteoma. He said whether it was somatic or not wouldn’t make a difference with the osteoma possibly being a cause. If it is inflammation then that would be more indicative that the osteoma is the cause in a way. Leaning towards getting this thing drilled outta my head lol.

• Informative Informative x 2
    15. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      Greg Sacramento is a genius about this stuff. Honest, ask him, he’s brilliant, miles better than an ENT.

16. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

I’ve been messaging him. Thanks though.

• Like Like x 1