Can Tinnitus Cause Headaches?

Discussion in 'Support' started by dpdx, Mar 17, 2018.

1. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      I have a new tone that developed last month next to the high pitched dentist drill, it is a sound of a train stopping on the tracks over and over again. I noticed that I've been getting headaches weekly now, this tone comes and goes, it is moderate but very intrusive, I can hear it over everything just not the shower. I was wondering whether this is the culprit of my headaches?

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Tinnitus can cause headaches as my consultant advised me of thi a while ago, and it isn't necessarily caused by stress and anxiety, although this could be a factor for some people.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The side of my head where T is hurts. I am hoping to recover it has been 6 months or so and I have gotten much worse. Michael yesterday i was walking at a small road without earplugs (it was almost night time) and two motorcycles passed me. I quickly covered my ears to avoid causing further damage. Do you wear earplugs when outside walking?

4. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I understand the discomfort and stress that you are feeling but I have advised you not to mentioned that your ears are damaged because they are not, but you keep mentioning it. This negative thinking doesn't help.

5. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Do you still struggle with hyperacusis? A lot of people with hyperacusis also report having headaches. I'm not sure whether your tinnitus itself is causing those headaches or if what's causing your tinnitus is also causing you headaches.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
    7. Bassplayer

Bassplayer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Also the same stress source(s) which cause the T to spike can cause headaches (and other ailments). Best get it checked out by professionals though if it’s worrying you a lot or persistent.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I think there is a bit of confusion between correlation and causation here. Perhaps a more accurate statement would be "Headaches are sometimes correlated with Tinnitus". I haven't come across any scientific data proving causality, but there is some data showing correlation. For example, for an acoustic neuroma, Tinnitus and headaches are both common symptoms (6.3% and 2% respectively - source).

Interesting lapsus linguae!

• Agree Agree x 2
    9. Ambassador
      Cool

Ambassador Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss and lifetime noise exposure
      The stress and anxiety caused by tinnitus can create tension headaches. My opinion.

• Agree Agree x 4
    10. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Headaches and tinnitus can be migraine related and you can have visual problems with it.

If it keeps happening then please pop in to see your doctor and get checked out.

Love,
      glynis

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      my fear is making it worse, my ENT said that its possible to damage ears easily if you have T.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Tinnitus is directly affected by our emotions. The more anxious, stressed and fearful we are of the tinnitus the more intrusive it will appear to be. I am sure that your ENT doctor means well but I do not agree that it's "possible to damage ears easily if one has tinnitus". I am sure that he does not believe a passing: motorbike, police siren or other normal sounds in our environment will cause damage to the ears. It is exposure to loud sounds that will cause damage and one would have to be subjected to it for a while. Although, anyone with hyperacusis might find they cause a spike but still not long term damage. It is over using hearing protection, fear and anxiety which causes harm and can lead to conditions like: Phonophobia Misophonia if one is not careful.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    13. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      It's 100% up to you, if you do this: If you are very concerned with your ears being damaged, then possibly get some testing done, to rule this out. I rather get some tests done, rather than just go by words a DR tells me. I have had tinnitus for 30 years, it wasn't till i got allergies/sinus issues in 2009 that I got headaches.

I have head pressures everyday, all day long. It's a normal thing for me. I know that many things can be causing it and i won't obsess over it.

Many different elements can cause headaches. Don't scare yourself like this, without hardcore evidence that something might be wrong. I say this to you, because I use to fear many things. I use to read about many things. If an ENT says something that doesn't seem right, possibly get a second opinion.

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. Bassplayer

Bassplayer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      This is also true.

• Like Like x 1
    15. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Very good advice @fishbone if I may say so. With respect @dpdx it is over obsessing about tinnitus and in particular hyperacusis and the resent visit to ENT for a procedure that worsened your symptoms. I repeatedly advised to leave things alone. By all means go to ENT for tests but if they say nothing is wrong I advise you again to seek some counselling.

All the best
      Michael

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You were right Tinnitus did get worse from the ENT and VEMP test. I have hyperacusis on the right ear where i never had it before.

17. fishbone
      Shitfaced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      When I first got tinnitus, I had every imaginable testing done. MRI, CT scan, blood, all of them. This gave me and my parents a clean slate and it basically showed that I was ok. This was my case, I had to take all the tests so I could sleep better at nights. After all the testings were done, then It became an emotional ordeal for me and how to manage that. I was fairly young and full of energy, but I did have difficulties like everyone else. Through out the years, i learned that tinnitus is just a control of the emotions.

I totally get all the pain people in this board face, I really do. It was 11 years ago that my tinnitus took a turn for the worst due to antibiotic overdosing and benzos. My volume nearly doubled and my hearing loss became MUCH worst. It wreaked havoc on my body and mind and I started at square one again.

It was brutal and I never forget it. It takes strength to handle tough ordeals, it's never easy at all. I gave up lifting weights for close to 8+ years after my body developed fibro/arthritis like symptoms.

Obsessions are hard, I been there and I know how it is. That's why I can come here and help others because I took the steps before them and I can share experiences and hopefully give them some comfort....

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    18. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I don't want to keep saying I told you so @dpdx but veterans like @fishbone,myself and those seasoned to tinnitus have been around the block with this condition and know how it can play tricks with us. Try and calm down and take it easy and in time you'll feel better.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hopefully it goes back to mild tinnitus and no H :) ideal

20. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I believe it will in time.....:)

• Like Like x 1
    21. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I was getting headaches following the onset of tinnitus. I was referred to a neurologist who told me that the headaches were stress related to the tinnitus. After some time and a return to excerise, the headaches stopped although I do still get them on occasion when my tinnitus is particularly bad.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Michael how can a motorcycle engine be considered normal noise. There were three motorcycles by me and I didnt wear earplugs when walking on the residential street. It was loud and I covered my ears quickly. I am not sure if that an ambulance, fire alarm, car alarm, police siren, metro/subway, busy road are normal sounds, to me they are hazardous, perhaps @fishbone can chime in and enlighten me regarding this.

23. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Of course three motorcycles near you is not normal everyday sounds but I'm sure you wouldn't be in such close proximity for too long? I believe it is fear, anxiety and listening to people on this forum that promote the overuse of hearing protection that is the cause of a lot of your problems. You told me a while back that you were starting TRT? I feel if you were able to get this or CBT, or other types of counselling with a therapist it would be beneficial to you. Please do not listen to others in this forum that denounce such treatments for they are negative thinking people and seeking complete cures. Remember that any treatment you do start not to mention it in this forum for reasons I've previously explained.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
    24. fishbone
      Shitfaced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ok I am chiming in :)

Had some cereal and ready to help out.

I feel that normal noise, would be something like 60DBS to possibly 80 DBS. Those sounds/elements mentioned could be louder than normal sounds in my opinion. I am not a person to over protect or even wear ear plugs outside. If I hear a noise that is loud, i'll cover my ears. For me this works and I don't usually get spikes from it.

The thing is this though, I been at this for such a long time, that mentally and emotionally tinnitus doesn't bother me. For folks that do encounter these sounds, possibly cover your ears or possibly have ear plugs/protection.

25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      They were pretty close to me. I was on the sidewalk and they passed right next to me. There was a red light and they were stopped and started again. I think the best thing to do is to always have ear plugs near you. Do you go outside and walk around not wearing protection? Do you use it at certain times? I dont go to resturants, bars, cafes, cinema, concerts (never liked them) or clubs (never liked them), nor do i use earbuds. What worries me that is over time being exposed to ambulance sirens or motorcycles or fire alarms will accumulate and cause things to become worse. Perhaps I am going over the top but it seems like its very easy to exacerbate our condition.

26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I covered my ears twice when an ambulance passed me two times, also covered them when I had the motorcycles very close to me. I am happy not going to concerts and clubs (never liked them), it is this fear of fire alarms, ambulance sirens, car sirens, unexpected fireworks, car muffler, motorcycles, etc that worries me.

27. fishbone
      Shitfaced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You know, I will agree with @Michael Leigh on this, having such fears and obsessions can get the best of us at times. Live your life, protect your ears. If you feel that a place can be loud, use ear plugs. If you see a hot rod starting its engine protect your ears. There is no way to prevent these issues 100%. You can wear ear plugs outside, but down the line it can cause you more issues as well.

When I wear ear plugs to concerts and events, it puts stress on my ears and drains it out. Just from the stress I can get spikes. Everything needs to be balanced out here. There is no method/protection that will 100% not give us a spike.

Also, if you do have hyperscusis even normal sounds, will seem loud. I feel your pain and I hope you find a strategy that works for you :)

My hearing loss is not because of accidental noises. It was because of my stupidity(constant loud noises/places) and meds that did me in. So never look at my case and think that it can apply to your case. It might, but I made mistakes and it was not accidental...

• Agree Agree x 1
    28. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      But i dont want the noises i mentioned to cause me more hearing loss and worse T.

29. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I hope @fishbone reads both your posts and comments on them as you've asked. He has many years experience with tinnitus and I'm sure will be able to help you too. Whilst I don't want to presume too much I have a feeling his reply won't be too different from mine. I understand your concerns but you need to try and calm down and relax. If you have a printer please click on the links below and print my articles and read them regularly. They are a form of counselling and will help reinforce positive thinking which is what I believe you need.

If one isn't careful it is very easy to slip into a negative mindset and allow it to consume you without realizing it. In answer to your question. I have "noise reduction" earplugs in a draw at home and haven't used them in over two years. I go about my daily affairs: police, ambulance, and fire truck sirens have passed me regularly and I have never had to cover my ears. I will admit, whenever I'm out walking on the street and I see a workman using a Kango/concrete breaker digging up the road, I keep a wide berth. I am amazed when I see some of these people using such equipment and not using ear defenders!

As I've mentioned before I am an Audiophile and have a HI-End audio system. I regularly listen up to 65 decibels peek, and occasionally 70db without any problems. When I first got tinnitus 22 years ago, I was unable to listen to my HI-FI at even 30 decibels as my ears would be in pain due to hyperacusis.

I have no concerns whatsoever about normal everyday sounds in the environment and don't carry earplugs on my person, but would if I were going to attend a venue where loud music is going to be played.

Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/is-positivity-important.23150/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-and-the-negative-mindset.23705/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/acquiring-a-positive-mindset.23969/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/the-ent-doctor-and-hearing-therapist.24047/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/inspiration.22894/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/can-tinnitus-counselling-help.22366/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/the-habituation-process.20767/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/a-change-of-lifestyle.20643/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-and-negative-counselling.26669/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/the-complexities-of-tinnitus-and-hyperacusis.25733/

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I need to cover my ears all the time when I encounter these sounds (ambulance, fire alarms, sirens,etc). It is way too risky and I just read that ambulance sirens are 120db and motorcycles are also 100db or so. Too dangerous :(