Can Tinnitus Just Fade Away?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Danika, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Danika

Danika Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/14/217
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/pregnancy
      Does that happen?

Does it fade away or just stop on day or both for people who heal?

• Creative Creative x 2
    2. zmogedra

zmogedra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2016 02 19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Inner ear infection
      Yeah it does fade, two of my friends had ear infection for both of them it just faded away after 3~6 months, but not for me..

• Hug Hug x 2
    3. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      I wish. I still have hope but very much doubt it will for me.

• Winner Winner x 2
    4. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Yes it does fade or disappear for some people. Read up the success stories and you will find that a good % of people don't just habituate to T but that their T actually fades or disappear. So keep positive and have hope. Positivity will help you cope better and can help calm T because it needs your continuous negative emotions, the stress and anxiety, the fear and hopelessness to continue to fuel its fire and intensity.

The best way to calm the hyperactive neurons which fire up T is to keep calm (as humanly possible as you can), and live your life as normally as possible. Given time, the brain will slowly get the impression that T is not an end game (even though it can be highly irritable at the start) and so it is not a threat. With that you will not function in fight or flight mode of the limbic nervous system. When the normal parasympathetic nervous system returns, with the pre-frontal cortex of the brain taking over from the Amygdala (the fight or flight center of the brain) in processing the T stimulus, you will find better control of your emotions and T will not sound as threatening.

You will have some setbacks along the way. But time is on your side when you are on a good approach to tame T. Even if T doesn't fade, the brain will learn to fade it out of consciousness when busily engaged with things in life, so much so that you may not hear even the loud T. How is that possible? Well, remember when you were deep in watching a movie on a jet flight, often you wouldn't hear even the loud jet noise all encompassing around you because the brain doesn't treat jet noise as threatening. What if the pilot then announces that one of the engines is having trouble and the plane needs to turn back or to find the nearest airport for emergency landing, you bet every passenger will now zoom in on the jet sound and will hear every detail of it, worrying to death by its every change in tune and loudness. The fight or flight mode is turned on and we are stressed easily by the jet nose from that point on until the plane safely landed. So we need to play the smart game with the brain in our journey with T.

• Like Like x 5
      • Agree Agree x 3
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danika

Danika Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/14/217
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/pregnancy
      Thank you!!!
      I feel like my t has been getting quieter and quieter since onset....and treatment of congestion. The sinus congestion and inflammation won't likely go away till after delivery of my son (2weeks) so my hope is it just fades......

• Like Like x 1
    6. .bill

.bill Member

Tinnitus Since:
      december2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      from ear infection
      I can say that after the the ear infection and the cold and flu dissipated that the ringing and hissing sound has faded to near quiet thanks be to god.

• Like Like x 3
      • Funny Funny x 1
    7. leelo
      Pacman

leelo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2014
      For some it does for some it don't but i believe that many people brains just ignore the noise. I know it depends on how loud and intense the T may be...but once you remove anxiety from the mix and it is just T, for me the noise is reduced and even forgotten at times. I went about two years not even thinking twice about T forgot i even had it. The rare moments i remembered i could have hear it when i listened out for it.
      So the real question is: Are you going to let T fade away?
      Best of luck. We are all going through this together :)

8. Mathew Gould

Mathew Gould Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      I've had T for 7 months now and am coping with it after a tough first 2-3 months. I got T from a misaligned neck/jaw, can T just fade away having a misalignment of the neck and jaw??? I start physical therapy for my neck in a few days.

9. Rick Garner
      Fine

Rick Garner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/ 2016 (T free since mid March 2017) 
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD (most probably)
      Have positive hope, Mathew. It happened to me. My tinnitus stopped at 6 month mark after having ETD caused by a huge ear wax build. Since you haven't abused your ears by exposing to loud noise through in ear earbuds/headphones etc., chances of your tinnitus either fade away or stop is pretty high once the root cause of your tinnitus is figured out and treated correctly.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Mathew Gould

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      Root cause is misaligned jaw and neck

11. Dem

Dem Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Currently - Concert 2012-2016 H - virus
      After infection i had moderate T for two moths, then it started slowly fading to zero in about 6 months. Now i have T for 3 months after acoustic trauma, and it stays on +/- the same level.

• Like Like x 1
    12. Mathew Gould

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      My T was on a very low level and I basically didn't notice it the last week or so and today I woke up and it was louder... I hope that week of T barely there is a sign of more and more T-less days.

I've had T for 8 months. The first 4-5 months I had T 98% of the time. Now the last month I would say I've had T 60% of the time. I hope this is a sign my T is getting better?? Is this a sign?

• Like Like x 1
    13. Mathew Gould

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      Bump... Tinnitus is also higher tonight after being very low for the previous 4-5 days.

14. Sven
      Fine

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Just thinking about it too much can cause it to increase.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Informative Informative x 1
    15. Jason37

Jason37 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot
      Mine does this also. Can't hear it really in just home enviroment today. Yesterday it sounded like a tire deflating in my ear all day.

16. Dem

Dem Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Currently - Concert 2012-2016 H - virus
      After infection i wasn't getting any treatment other than antibiotics. Being not familiar with this forum i was living my life as loud as my hyperacusis let me, so everyday moderately loud music on earphones for few hours.
      Fist tinnitus faded to zero in about six months, then hyperacustics faded in next four years to the point that i was able to go clubbing, and concerts. Thinking that everything was ok with my hearing was my mistake. After acoustic trauma im trying to protect my hearing as much as possible, but h and t doesn't seem to be much better than on the onset five months ago. I have now also worse thing which is sound distortion and that thing is driving me crazy.
      If on second month you are better i think you have great chances to recover, but i would suggest you to be careful with stuff like concerts.

• Like Like x 1
    17. Kingdawson

Kingdawson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      My tinnitus completely went away after around 5 months so have faith it definitely can go away.

• Like Like x 4
    18. Aficianado

Aficianado Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Mine faded away over several months.

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    19. PolishSoldier87
      Moonlighting

PolishSoldier87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acustic trauma, neuro-lyme/rx co-op toxins
      Yes, it can. After one of my acoustic traumas from AK-47 it faded at one moment after month from the onset.