Can TMJ Cause Hearing Loss?

Discussion in 'Support' started by idkanymore123, Jan 16, 2019.

1. idkanymore123
      Depressed

idkanymore123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ
      I feel like I hear better with my left ear compared to my right ear.

I also have shoulder pain on my right side.

Is it possible TMJ could cause my hearing loss?

2. Arseny
      Wishful

Arseny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly from problems with blood flow
      I presume yes, but not in form of cochlear damage.

3. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      maybe but if so it would have to be pretty extreme, like, "TM pressure compresses blood vessels so much that you get ischemic events causing cochlear damage". If this is possible, it's not actually documented anywhere.

Here's an article that sketches out some possible triggers: https://www.verywellhealth.com/temporomandibular-joint-disorder-1046500

The thing to know is that in a huge majority of cases, even if not quite all, the "hearing loss" that occurs with TMJ will resolve when the TMJ is treated properly. I know that if I start to neglect my TMJ treatment, first my jaw gets "clicky", then it gets "painful", then the ear feels "muffled" and at that point my hearing is somewhat impaired (which I think can actually cause temporary tinnitus spikes after a few days).

This always reverses itself once I get my TMJ into a better state, and, interestingly, two or three times during meditation (specifically a posture that takes stress off my jaw completely and encourages those muscles to relax) I have had the experience of my ears spontaneously "opening up" during meditation, and having the relative quiet background noises of the room become much clearer and easier to hear.

Before you spend a million dollars on bite splints or surgery or any other invasive TMJ work, you might want to check this book out: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1572241268

• Like Like x 2
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      idkanymore123
      Depressed

idkanymore123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ
      Just going to go see an ENT this is affecting my life so much I don't know how I'm going to get through with the hearing loss on my right ear...

5. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      90% of tinnitus and hearing loss is due to noise exposure. If you’re not sure if you have TMJ and don’t have other symptoms then it’s PROBABLY NOT TMJ.
      Don’t waste a lot of time and money on TMJ if you don’t think so and not convinced.

6. Striveon

Striveon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      You should get a panoramic dental x-ray done to see if you have TMJ. I had one last Thursday, turns out I have severe TMJ.