Can Your Own Voice Cause Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by CrystalB, Oct 24, 2021.

1. CrystalB

CrystalB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I got my tinnitus one morning, 2 or 3 days after I had a ocular migraine. When I had the ocular migraine it scared me because my vision was leaving and I saw flashing lights, I panicked and screamed so loud. It finally went away after lying down.

A couple of days after the episode of the ocular migraine, I woke up one morning with high pitch tinnitus, and it’s not gone away in 5 years.

Has anyone heard of this happening to anyone? Could my own scream have caused the tinnitus? Would the ocular migraine cause it? My family has ocular migraines as well but hasn’t developed tinnitus. Could the stress have caused my tinnitus?

I wish I could go back in time and not freak out so bad. Maybe I could have prevented the tinnitus.

I’m so confused. I’ve talked to doctors who have no idea what happened to me. I am a very anxious person who worries so much and used to panic even before tinnitus, but since tinnitus I’ve gotten worse.

I’m going down hill fast.

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Unlikely. Our ears have a protection mechanism when we expect loud sound/noise, which your brain would have triggered when you started screaming.
      Has your tinnitus changed at all since you got it?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      CrystalB

CrystalB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It’s still been the same since it started. The more my ears feel open, the louder it is. The more stuffed up they are, the quieter it is.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. nogg
      Angry

nogg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Computer noise
      How are you doing? Have you seen an ENT? From your last post it sounds atypical to me and could be a medical problem.

5. Matt G

Matt G Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Punch to the ear/head
      Not really sure if this is what you are getting at @CrystalB but when I first developed hyperacusis, my own voice would raise my tinnitus in my right ear if I projected my voice enough. I recovered from that after 6 months, but a spike has caused it to come back.

• Hug Hug x 1