Cancelling a Concert

Discussion in 'Support' started by gadsie, Feb 22, 2017.

1. gadsie
      Angelic

gadsie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Normal volume headphones/clubbing with earplugs
      Hey, I'm new to the forum but have been lurking a bit. I'm 19 years old and I think I have had tinnitus for years, but a couple of months ago it became a bit worse due to listening to music too loud and clubbing without earplugs (only a few times very short, but enough to do damage). It is very bearable at the moment, it's very much there, but I only notice it when I pay attention to it or when it's quiet. When I'm busy with other things my brain ignores it.

Anyways, I planned to go to a drake concert this weekend with a friend. We planned this months ago before I was worried about tinnitus. For a long time I also thought earplugs were proper protection, but then I found out that earplugs can't protect against frequencies lower than 125 Hz.

Now I really don't want to go anymore. But my friend is looking forward so extremely much to this concert, that if I tell him I won't go, he will be very pissed and might lose him as a friend.

I'm wondering if I should tell him the truth, or come up with an excuse (sick or something). Mainly I'm curious what you would do.

2. Jacob83
      Balanced

Jacob83 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I <3 punk rock and metal
      Tell him the truth and give your ticket to a friend so he has someone to go with.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      Better loose a friend than yourself... But you won't loose him.

Tell the truth, you don't have to be ashamed.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. maltese
      Batty

maltese Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Club
      Nope. Just nope.

If he is a good friend he will understand. He probably won't let you go with him at all.

If you "loose him as a friend" because of that, he was not a good friend in the first place.

Drake's concert will be loud, I can tell you that. And there will be a lot of bass which as you already know is not blocked really well by earplugs.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Krish230
      Badass

Krish230 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced - nightclub
      I'm guessing it's an indoor concert which is generally worse than outside as there's nowhere for the sound to escape. If it was outdoor, I would have suggested you double up with ear protection (ear plugs and ear muffs) and stand near the back and you'll be ok.

I would say give it a miss, I have noise-induced T from clubbing which has got seriously loud due to multiple (fairly unavoidable) noise exposures since I first got it.

As others have said, imo you should tell him. A good friend would of course be gutted, but they'll understand :) You could even play him an example of what tinnitus sounds like from a YouTube video to give him an idea of what you're hearing, and that you don't want that ringing sound to get even louder as a result of the concert. He might be able to sympathise with you a bit more that way.

6. Capricornus
      Inspired

Capricornus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Don't go.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Krish230
      Badass

Krish230 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced - nightclub
      Did you go to the concert? If so, was there any change in your T?

8. RonnieCarzatto
      Cynical

RonnieCarzatto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 01 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mild head injury maybe... but who knows...
      Hey, I had to do the same, had Bastille tickets. It sucks. Take care of number one first though.

9. Tommi_boi
      Thinking

Tommi_boi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/04/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I'd give it a miss, your ears would love u for it. There are two of them and one of him

10. Hopeful1
      Depressed

Hopeful1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Give it a miss and it would be the best thing you have done in your life.