Can't Take It Anymore

Discussion in 'Support' started by Adam R, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Adam R

Adam R Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, maybe loud music
      I've had tinnitus for 10 days now, and I can't take it anymore. I've gotten almost no sleep in the last few days. Today I'm so wrecked I couldn't work, even from home. I'm going to have to go on disability if I can't start sleeping. I'm seriously thinking of just ending it all. I don't know what else to do. I haven't even seen the audiologist yet, that's tomorrow morning, but I don't know that that will yield much hope. I don't even know what I'm asking. I guess what should I do, how can I have any hope?

• Hug Hug x 7
    2. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      I completely understand. Today I broke down in tears, it just overwhelmed me.

• Like Like x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. dingaling
      Asleep

dingaling Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, probably loud music
      Hi Adam

Hold out for tomorrow and listen to what your audiologist has to say. Hopefully he or she is trained in tinnitus and can start you on TRT (tinnitus retraining therapy).

For tonight, download a tinnitus app on your smartphone, find a sound that works for you. Tinnitus will always sound worse in silence so a little noise in the background (like the sea for example) helps shift focus away from tinnitus and induce sleep.

Good luck for tomorrow and do come back on here and tell us how you have got on

• Like Like x 1
    4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Melatonin can help sleep,
      Sleeping tablets short term or natural treatments or a low AD long term.
      Good luck at ENT and please let us know how you get on .
      Love glynis

6. jjflyman

jjflyman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise (Concert)
      Don't give up hope yet. Many times noise induced T will fade over time. It just take a long time. It can take 6-24 months to fade. What you are hearing now is not what you will hear in 6 months. Give it time. I'm 13 months in from a loud concert and it has faded about 80% and continues to fade. It has faded to the point I only hear it in quiet areas.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    7. Holly1987

Holly1987 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I also completely understand how you feel, I'm so sorry this is happening to you. Try and keep yourself busy and distracted today (easier said than done, I know) and wait until your appointment. I know it's really cliche advice but I promise this feeling of desperation will pass, things will get better for you.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Petersi1981
      Wtf

Petersi1981 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm sorry, this condition is so horrible. I had this for 20 years and its getting so loud...I'm losing my marbles as well. White noise doesn't help me any more as its so loud i need to crack it up to 9 volume level which is probably just damaging my ears...All i got left is sitting in a loud shower for hours, its the only relief i have...Just try to drown it out however you can, shower, white noise, play games...anything to take you mind off it. I've been there 20 years ago on the edge, but coping will get better.

12 Hours of White Noise (Static) in Stereo....

This white noise might help.

• Like Like x 1
    9. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      this!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Petersi1981
      May I ask what caused your tinnitus and when were you last seen at ENT for tests?

11. Petersi1981
      Wtf

Petersi1981 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Sorry I just don't know. I got it in my teens, they give me an MRI to rule out a tumor and that's all she wrote. Doctors just said we don't know and you got to live with it...I've seen an ENT few years back they tested my hearing and said I have some hearing loss in the high frequencies but nothing alarming...It was so quiet back then i needed a silent room and really focus on it to make it out, now its just roaring 24/7. I got used to it for a long time, but it just got really really bad now...I'm having very hard time adjusting once again...Im going to see an ENT again in few months so ill let you know what they say.

12. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I am sorry to hear that you're going through such a difficult time with the tinnitus. I know some people don't like taking benzos but it has helped me when my tinnitus is severe. Consider trying clonazepam just for a little break or reduction in the noise. It works for some people with tinnitus and you don't have to take it regular. Do you listen to music through headphones? I won't ask any more questions as you're in a lot of discomfort.

Michael

13. Starlord

Starlord Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I read from your previous post that sleep was the biggest issue and that you had sleeping pills prescribed. For me it personally took about 3 weeks till I could sleep normally again. Those first weeks my body was in panic. But for those 3 weeks it would take me 2 hours after laying down to get to sleep, I had no medication (nothing, even for 2 years now), and would need rain masking noise that I found on youtube. After those 3 weeks sleeping got much easier and I stopped using masking all together in that short amount of time.

10 days feels like and eternity for you. I get it. I was there. But looking back it was nothing. And I would have felt very stupid if I did something that drastic for something as a result of 10 measly days or even 21 days. People get surgeries where they are in pain for weeks and months after, yet they have to hold out for it to get better.

You have a family and children to raise. Dont see that as another pressure added on your life. See it as something thats worth fighting for.

Your T could very well go away (There's people with worse T out there and from more damaging reasons). When..that is the big question. Lets say that your T was destined to go away in 6 months, or 2 years, or 5 years...What if you ended it just short of that happening. There is no way of knowing and thats the biggest thing that drives people crazy. But you just need to take one day at a time.

14. Christophe_85
      Alone

Christophe_85 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      Dear Adam,

I totally understand how terrible this is at the beginning...

How do you feel nowadays ?

Take care !

Christophe