Car Horn

Discussion in 'Support' started by valeri, Feb 28, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Team Awareness

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      some idiot just beeped twice just few meter away from me!
      It went through my brain now in panic again as if this will make it worse!
      I'm sick of living like this:(

• Hug Hug x 5
    2. LeQuack
      Scared

LeQuack Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      I know how you feel man, loud sounds are the bane of my existence. But even though it was loud, you have to keep telling yourself that it wasn't hearing damage loud. Car horn is 100-110 db @ 1 meter away. But you were probably at least a bit further away, so it was less than that. I find this site useful for calculating the dB:

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-distance.htm

You enter the dB at some known distance, like 110 dB @ 1m and it tells you how much it is at a certain distance.

a1g8pVh.png

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. snow86
      Surrender

snow86 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2006 - Extreme T since 12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      see "information" on profile page. Crippled by extreme T
      This happens to me like every time I have to go outside . Big city... My reactive t always explodes and I get stabbing ear pain. I tend to turn off my hearing aids at big crossings.

• Hug Hug x 2
    4. valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      So how bad is 110dB 2m away??
      I'm a driver and that horn was out of this world, nothing like my car:(

5. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      I wouldn't worry about it, it's over now, too late, can't go back. I'm like snow86, happens every time I leave my home. What can you do? Nothing now, worrying about it can't help you. As much as I hate I think I'm going to start to wear plugs everyday.

6. valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      The question is if those noises can make permanent damage?
      This condition is one big fuck! Who can possibly live in this constant fear of noises that other people don't even think twice about:(
      Few weeks ago had that door slammed now this car horn!

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    7. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      I get dogs barking everyday, I take my dog out and she gets barked at constantly, she doesn't bark but other dogs like to bark when we pass them on our walks. Or the other day I was walking in front of a house and someone started cutting cement. I just don't worry about this stuff after the fact. As far as damage, who knows, for me it feels very painful and my hearing threshold shifts, I sleep and most of it seems to come back, although I am progressively loosing hearing, just not sure what it's from, it my be these noises, I don't know. There are many people on this site that would disagree and say that noise is not the issue and that I'm loosing hearing from being anxious. Oh your ears are screwed and you are going deaf, you are just anxious, maybe pop some pills! Lol. Standard advise, the go to answer for all.

8. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma from airplane descent, noise exposure? ETD? TMJD?
      Well, it could be worse. Seriously, trying some pills like Telis said would be a good idea.:) I hope I don't get hit over the head with a frying pan.:( I just remembered, you're in Australia. Were all friends here.