Cars Passing By with Radio Blaring?

Discussion in 'Support' started by butterfly75, Jun 3, 2017.

1. butterfly75
      No Mood

butterfly75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I live in a suburban town, but towards the summer every day several cars pass by throughout the day with their radios blaring.

My room is on the second floor, but I can hear everything. It's so loud, I can feel the bass.

It sounds louder than if you were standing by the speakers at an average concert.

I didn't even know car speakers could be that loud, but it happens several times a day.

Could hearing this every day cause any actual damage to the ears?

2. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Several separate times throughout the day? Not likely.

For the person driving the car around? Absolutely.

• Agree Agree x 5
    3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Given my experience, and given what I read on this forum, if your ears are already compromised (you are experiencing T, or have experienced it at some point in your life), noises like that can interfere with your recovery, or even make T louder, or cause it to return. Remember, what is fine for healthy ears is often NOT ok for compromised ears. I think if you wear earplugs at home, you might be ok. Make sure not to wear earplugs 24/7, as it may lead to an infection. You also don't want to get H. Perhaps you can figure out a time window when most of these drive-by noises take place, and wear earplugs during that time?

4. Jake007

Jake007 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss for long time, chainsaw, infections
      They must have a state of the art system in they're car.

5. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Check your town's noise ordinances. If it is the same repeat drivers, you may be able to contact your town's non-emergency police line and report it. Let them know the car model and color and what time of day they drive by your home.

While it's unlikely to damage your hearing in your home, driving with an excessively loud speaker can create an unsafe driving condition. The driver and others driving near him/her may be unable to hear police or ambulance sirens.