Cat's Claw (Uncaria Tomentosa)

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Danny Boy, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Kaelon
      Wishful

Kaelon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Muscle Spasms
      Hi Everyone,

I thought I would share with you an update after a couple of weeks on Cat's Claw. I've been taking daily doses of 1,000 mg., in the evenings with dinner. I am noticing a mild improvement in my tinnitus, but it's nowhere near in line with the more powerful anti-inflammatory drugs that give me total relief -- like Prednisone.

It's worth mentioning I am also wearing a night guard daily and taking Magnesium supplements with the Cat's Claw, so it's possible that the anti-spasmodic / muscle-relaxant effect of Magnesium is what is conveying the improvement over the Cat's Claw itself. Even so, Cat's Claw appears generally inoffensive to use and it has helped me quite a bit -- but it isn't the miracle-cure that others have reported, leading me to suspect that the underlying etiological basis for tinnitus that is relieved by cat's claw is probably vascular, and not neuromuscular like mine.

Hope this helps!

• Helpful Helpful x 2
      • Informative Informative x 2
    2. Kopesy
      English

Kopesy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'll never know
      Right. It's been about a week now & I've been taking 3 x 500mg of Cat's Claw capsules per day.

I've not noticed much effects.

All it seems to have done is help with my neck not cracking as much... weird.

I'll keep taking it of course, maybe it takes longer for others...

3. I've been taking Cat's Claw for a week and a half and have had no effects, good or bad.

I don't think it's fair to compare Cat's Claw with more potent drugs.

I will keep taking it and if there is no changes in a month, I will collect some leafs from last year from my backyard and try them instead.

• Funny Funny x 3
    4. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I made some more proper tea out of the bark powder this morning, and I've gotta say that even strong tea isn't nearly as bitter as the material itself is when just mixed as powder with a little water. Bitterness is, in general, an indicator of alkaloid content -- which makes me think that at least some of the important chemicals involved here may not be water soluble.

5. Kopesy
      English

Kopesy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'll never know
      Hello everyone!

So it's been almost 2 weeks on Cat's Claw & for the last couple of days I've felt better than I've felt since getting tinnitus!

I'm still only taking 3 x 500 mg capsules once a day but will up the dosage like Danny Boy mentioned to see if it has an even greater effect.

Not only has my tinnitus decreased in volume but also the aches & balance issues I've felt for quite some time have improved. On a side note it's also worth mentioning that my neck cracking that I've had since getting tinnitus has really got better; my neck is nowhere near as tight as it was & the loudness of the cracking has decreased considerably.

I'll keep you posted on how I get on with a higher dosage but so far so good! If you're trying it then keep at it, it took me almost 2 weeks to really feel a difference.

Peace o/

• Like Like x 3
      • Informative Informative x 2
    6. Joao Rio
      Amazed

Joao Rio Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      May, 25th 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ Inflamation?? Eustachian Tube Disorder? Cervical Injury?
      Hi all,

Update on my Cat's Claw use.

As I said in a past post of mine, I am experimenting with Cat's Claw, specifically a product made by Solgar. Having started with 3 pills a day, adding up to 1050 mg, I noticed some mild headache, similar to the one I had when taking Arnica Montana found in Traumeel, from Heel.

So I am now taking just one pill of Cat's Claw a day, at dinner, together with Turmeric extract, so as best to take advantage of the slight but noticeable reduction in my tinnitus during my sleep where the headache does not bother me. This is to me another clear evidence that my tinnitus is inflammatory related and that I hope to take up to my ENT doctor.

Regards.

7. SleeplessSoul
      Insomnious

SleeplessSoul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      I tried the Cat's Claw extract again. It seems to be helping a little with the jaw and neck pain and maybe in turn, helping lower the volume of the tinnitus just a little bit.

• Like Like x 1
    8. bmguitar

bmguitar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2008, 2015, 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma x 3
      I've been on 1000 mg x 2 of Cat's Claw daily for 3 weeks (together with NAC and Vinpocetine), and I've not experienced any changes.

• Informative Informative x 1
    9. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      And then there's Cat's Claws... :D

CatMassage.gif

• Funny Funny x 4
    10. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      I have taken Cat's Claw and NAC for more than half a year now.

I do not see any difference to my tinnitus.

I have experienced no side effects.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Right people! It seems there's two variants of Cat's Claw.

The tea is from the bark and the capsules I've been using is from the root.

The bark seems to be more effective than the root for tinnitus.

So ignore the root, and go for the bark which you can get in capsules! So get the bark and not the root.

12. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      I've been using Nature's Answer Cat's Claw for about six weeks now. A serving is three capsules, which equals 1350 mg of the inner bark. The instructions say to take three capsules three times a day. That's a lot, but I followed the instructions and took nine capsules each day for about a month. Then I wrote the company and asked, why such a high dose when other companies recommend taking only one 500 mg capsule per day?

Their response wasn't very satisfactory because it didn't really address my question. So I dropped the dosage to four capsules per day, two in the morning and two in the evening. There was no change whatsoever. Honestly, I don't think this stuff has that much of an effect on me. I will let my current supply run out and see what happens.

13. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      I tried Cat's Claw capsules - no effect on my tinnitus.

• Creative Creative x 1
    14. Damocles
      No Mood

Damocles Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otitis media
      These were your own claws?