Cell Phone Vibrating Sound That Is Interrupted with External Sounds — What Is This?

Discussion in 'Support' started by wococit, Dec 26, 2019.

1. wococit

wococit Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 days
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I don't know much about tinnitus, I have tried to read some.
      Basically, out of the blue, have lasted 3-4 days now, I noticed a sound I can describe kind of like a cell phone vibrating, but lower, and just the low frequencies. This is not high pitched, and it is not very low, but enough to be annoying, and I think I can also actually feel the vibration/spasm? And actually feels like my ear is getting some relief when it stops (see next sentence for when it stops)

It is basically constant, but, it is interrupted with external sounds, if someone, or I, talk, or any noise, it stops immediately, but also comes right back again when it's silent.

So aside from external stimuli, any sounds, it is always there. Or if I turn my head quickly it also stops, for that brief moment.

This is an example of a constant noise I can put on, and increase in volume (not very high) so that it stops the noise in my ear:

Computer Fan Sound | Computer Fan Noise |...

What is weird, if I don't have the volume of it high enough for the sound to stop, but to the point where it almost stops, the vibrating noise in my ear will sort of pulsate, going off/on...

Any idea what this is, is it most likely some sort of spasm, muscle twitching? As I'm typing on my loud, mechanical keyboard, the sound disappears and comes back. Tips on stuff I can try?

I would think a regular tinnitus sound, whatever that is, would not stop like this when hearing external sounds? Because this doesn't stop in a way that it's drowned out by other noise. It definitely completely stops it, like my ear is just waiting to hear something and then it's fine, but when there's silence it's over-excited or something...

2. Backpacker

Backpacker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      wococit

wococit Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 days
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      No, that's not it. I might have forgotten to mention that it's only in one ear, the left.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      wococit

wococit Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 days
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      And people's description of the hum does not match what it's like... it really feels like there's something going on inside the ear, like a small vibration, like the ear's listening for sounds over-excited, but as soon as it hears a sound the vibration noise goes away and it's normal, but of course comes right back whenever external sound stops or is silent enough.

5. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm not sure that I had the same, but I had a very low, washing machine type of sound in 2016/17/19 each time for 1-3 weeks. It came out of the blue. It was really loud, and vibrating and if I put my finger in my ear (only left ear had the problem each time), I could feel some thumping. But! Creating a tight vacuumy feeling with my hand over my ear, talking, and plugging the ear stopped it. I still don't have a clue what caused this, and I'm pretty sure that at some point in my life it will come back, but for now it's gone. One day it just went away.

I know it's an awful advice, and easier said than done, but really not much can be offered. If you didn't have a noise trauma, didn't have an infection, try not to work yourself up. If you have a chance, go to an ENT to rule out objective tinnitus, or other doctor and ask about steroids. It may or may not help. Other than that, give it time. I know at least one other person here whose buzzing went away in a month. Unfortunately there are people whose T hasn't. Right now, I would say, the most important thing is to get some rest, take magnesium, NAC, curcumin. They are said to be good for the nerves and at least probably won't cause any harm.

6. JohnFox

JohnFox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Sudden loss of 100% hearing R ear with Tinnitus
      If you haven't yet, you definitely need to see a good ENT and get an ear exam. This just might be something that an ENT can figure out and help you with.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      wococit

wococit Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 days
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I will, I have an appointment with my GP 7. jan, earliest I could get, and he will have to refer me to ENT.

• Like Like x 1
    8. shasta0863

shasta0863 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I've been having the same problem since May of last year. Same symptoms, same way to stop it. I can aggravate it sometimes just by driving in the car (due to the vibration) and even movies/games with low sounds can set it off. Talking stops it until it starts right back up, shaking the head slightly, external sounds.

Sleeping on the bad ear (its in my right only) makes it pop up and get worse. Using earplugs makes it worse.

I already have tinnitus and this is the worst thing I've ever had. I got it the morning after my gran dad died. Lots of extreme crying and sobbing and being upset a whole day someone triggered this the following morning. Had to have caused a problem in the ear. I've only got to as close to a diagnosis as either Middle Ear Myclonus or TTTS.

This condition is beyond debilitating, far more than my already bad regular tinnitus is.

9. Audiophile_bg
      Furious

Audiophile_bg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Olanzapine/MRI
      I also have the low hum and it's very unpleasant. Got mine after an MRI scan.

• Hug Hug x 1