Cerebral Angiogram Results

Discussion in 'Support' started by DougDude, May 10, 2018.

1. DougDude

DougDude Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      PT = DAVF (Cured), Regular T = Unknown, Surgery, Sound?
      Hey all,
      So I had my cerebral angiogram yesterday. It wasn't too bad. My leg is a little painful, but I guess that is to be expected.

Anyway, they found a fistula. Remember my MRI/MRA with contrast didn't show one. I'm not sure what grade it is, but the doc said it was a small one and not to worry about it, but it does need fixed. So I'm assuming it is not of the dangerous kind. I go back on Monday to meet with pre-anesthesia and to have the surgery consultation. I'll find out more than and I will have many questions.

Some of my questions are:
      How long does the glue last? What if the glue comes undone
      How long am I out of work?
      Will I ever be able to return to normal activity such as sports, weight lifting, coss-fit, etc

Also the sound of my PT keeps changing... it is always a low frequency whoosh, but the volume and tone changes some. So I'm worried what if while he was doing the angiogram, it only showed one thing, but when the sound switches, it is a bigger fistula or a dangerous one. In other words, maybe at the time of the angiogram, the blood flow wasn't showing how it could 2 hours later when the sound changed. This is probably my biggest worry.

I've never had surgery before so I'm pretty terrified. However, I had never had an angiogram before either and it wasn't too bad.

I understand after the surgery I would be in the ICU for 1 day. That kinda freaks me out. I always thought ICUs are pretty serious.

Thanks!

• Like Like x 3
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. GJSCAR

GJSCAR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Doug so glad your procedure went well. Good luck with the surgery.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DougDude

DougDude Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks @GJSCAR ... I'm scared and have never had surgery before, but I'm so ready to get rid of this sound.

4. GJSCAR

GJSCAR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Go in with positive thoughts. Hey did doc say where the fistula was located?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DougDude

DougDude Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @GJSCAR, I believe he said it is behind my left ear. Which makes since, that is where my bruit is located.

6. tiniturtle

tiniturtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/19/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Paromomycin
      @DougDude

I just had my surgery for the fistula and I'm currently recovering. The important thing is to not just go to any doctor or the first one you see. I had mine done at Cleveland Clinic. These are rare, so even high volume centers don't do a lot of them. You don't want someone operating on you that has never repaired one before.

Mine was embolized with onyx. This is supposed to be quite permanent and with a good cure rate. A few platinum coils were also put in to prevent any onyx from migrating. I left the hospital the following day.

Recovery is about 2-4 weeks, after which time you should be able to resume all activities normally if all went well. I am concerned about this also since I am athletic.

Which part of the country you are in?

7. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      Get well soon!

Your story is an example that
      (a) there are curable causes for tinnitus and
      (b) that there may be independent causes at the same person.

8. dingaling
      Asleep

dingaling Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, probably loud music
      Glad it all went well. Was the fistula in the mastoid bone or semicircular canal (dehiscence)?

9. ScoutLee

ScoutLee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Wishing you well Doug, and so glad your surgery went smoothly! I hope your recovery is just as smooth.

I hope you don't mind me asking, but was your PT always present, or did it come and go?

I have intermittent PT on my left side, and am soon to have my scans. A bit nervous.

All the very best.

10. RichJ

RichJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Glad the procedure went well! I had my angiogram 6 weeks ago and they didn't find anything that was causing my PT. Hopefully after the surgery you will be better!

11. Noisy Ear

Noisy Ear Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hi all, I am new to this site. I have had pulsatile T for 2 months. Will be undergoing an angiogram next week, as they are looking for the same fistula they found on Doug.

I worry about everything they use medically for this procedure making my T worse. Lidocaine, pain relievers, etc. Can anyone tell me their experience in this?
      Thanks

12. RichJ

RichJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I was nervous about the procedure, but it really wasn't that big of a deal. The hardest part for me was not moving my legs for 4 hours after the procedure.