Certain Probiotics Can Help with Depression and Anxiety

Discussion in 'Support' started by JasonP, Apr 26, 2018.

1. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I figured I would share this information with you all because it is not talked about much.

There is a gut-brain axis and therefore the intestines and the brain can affect each other. Most psychiatrists and doctors however seem to focus on the brain exclusively for mental problems. I found this study showing that certain probiotics can help with issues such as depression, anxiety, and OCD. Probiotics can be bought over the counter and do not need a prescription.

http://www.jnmjournal.org/journal/view.html?doi=10.5056/jnm16018

You can read more on the gut-brain axis here:
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gut–brain_axis

If you have any experience with probiotics please post. I am curious to know if this can help certain types of tinnitus because of the effect on the nervous system. In the article it says:

"probiotics may directly alter CNS biochemistry, such as by affecting levels of BDNF, γ-aminobutyric acid (GABA), serotonin (5 hydroxytryptamine; 5 HT), and dopamine (DA), thus influencing mind and behavior."

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
      • Like Like x 3
    2. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      Very good experience with them. Totally rate them, but do nothing for my T. I think they improved my concentration by reducing mental fatigue and lethargy especially after eating.

I agree on that whole gut brain link notion. At the very least, poor intestinal flora is going to probably hamper absorption of vitamins and mineral etc which can lead to all sorts of issues.

I had wondered if perhaps somehow being deficient in certain things could make the ears more susceptible to damage. Interestingly there has been research done on the gut link with autism and treating with probiotics.

• Like Like x 1
    3. David077
      Creative

David077 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress, benzo/clonozepam + clonidine, maybe infection
      Maybe K12 probiotic can improve T that comes from inner ear.

4. jay777

jay777 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzo/ headphones
      have sauerkraut fermenting now, I am worried about the salt content.