Change in Tinnitus Character without Reason, Anyone?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jodi, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Jodi
      Confused

Jodi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      So, short story; had noise induced tinnitus for 17 years without any noticeable changes, then had it majorly worsen after a long night out, with badly fitted earplugs (4 years ago). Then, been using extremely good earplugs, etc. (Non-hollow, custom mold silicon, SNR should be over 30 dB). Had no new problems.

Though, a few weeks ago I noticed a new sound in one ear. Over the usual stable "eeee", there is now sort "blipp" - coming sometimes once every two seconds, and then nothing for 30 seconds to 3 minutes.

And I can´t remember having been exposed to anything specific lately, sound wise.

Any suggestions? Could it be "just stress" (never had this sort of *spike* before)? Or accumulative? Or some sort of brain plasticity - like aging maybe?

Anyone with similar experience or anyone have some informative links on this? Can´t find any myself...

2. Bobbie7
      Wishful

Bobbie7 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Extreme stress, sinus infection
      Hi @Jodi - Welcome to the Forum. I am sorry to hear you are experiencing this puzzling change of sound after having tinnitus for 17 years. There can be many causes for this; do you have any idea as to what may have occurred or been different just prior to this shift? Were you exposed to very loud noises during your long night out? Are you under severe stress? Perhaps it would be wise to consult an ENT concerning this issue and, hopefully, he will be able to help you.

If you place a search in the Forum's search bar under "changing sound" as I did, there you will find many posts from other members who have experienced alterations in sound. Perhaps this will be of some help and you will know you are not alone. Please keep us posted.

Sending best wishes,
      Barbara

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jodi
      Confused

Jodi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Hi @Bobbie7,

For clarity, my T got 3-4 times as loud after that one night out - about 3,5 years ago. Switched to better earplugs, no changes for the last 3,5 years, until this day a few weeks ago.

- 17 years ago, initial start, noise induced
      - 3,5 years ago, got 3-4 times louder, noise induced
      - A month ago, a new blippy sound in one ear, confused about what may have caused it