Changed to Pulsatile Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by dayma, Mar 31, 2018.

1. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      Hello all, I have been dealing with tinnitus for almost 3 months now. Strange thing though for me though is that the last few hours it seems to be changing to Pulsatile Tinnitus? I haven't read through all the past posts but is this possible or normal?

I was having a relatively low tinnitus day and then BAM it's pulsatile tinnitus for 3 hours and loud.

Thanks!

2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, @dayma,

Yes, I do think it is possible that your regular tinnitus could change to pulsating, and then back to regular tinnitus again. Those of us with tinnitus often experience many ups and downs with our condition. I have both tinnitus and pulsatile tinnitus in my right ear, and some days are better than others.

If your condition changes to constant pulsating, then it might be worthwhile to go to a doctor to have it checked out, to rule out any physical conditions. But, if yours comes and goes, I believe that is a normal part of our condition.

Is the pulsating in sync with your pulse? If not, then it may be a condition called tensor tympani syndrome, that could come and go, depending on your stress level, etc.

I hope you're having a better tinnitus day today!

Best wishes,
      Karen

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      Thanks for the reply!

Yes, it was with my pulse I believe. I have a 2nd opinion coming up with an ENT and will mention it. It was just weird and it did it again today a bit.

4. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      @dayma,

I'll be interested to hear what your doctor has to say. I've had a number of tests (CT scan, MRI/MRA, and Doppler of the carotid arteries). Nothing was found. My pulsating started after taking a blood pressure drug. There are many possible causes of pulsatile tinnitus, so it's always a good idea to get it checked out.

5. Tommi_boi
      Thinking

Tommi_boi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/04/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I've had this happen to me. In fact I've had all three types of issues, tinnitus, PT and Sound sensitivity (one step less to hypercausis I guess).

For me I had T first and then from out of nowhere it became PT! As if by magic it disappeared again.

Sound sensitivity came on after a loud noise accident.

I wanted to offer my sympathy to PT strugglers as I totally get the thundering / roaring sound that it can cause.

For me it came in my right ear only, and only when I lay down. As soon as I stood up it would go away by itself. If I put my finger over my ear and cover up the earlobe I would not hear the PT anymore...

It's a bizarre type of beast