Chi Kung

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by carlover, Sep 22, 2012.

tinnitus forum
    1. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
    2. carlover
      English

Tinnitus Since:
    3. Molan
      No Mood

Molan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Some excellent posts Carlover thank you for sharing. I wasn't aware of study like that on Pubmed relating to Tinnitus so great find!

Please let us know if you decide to do it on a daily basis for 6 months and report back to us.

4. Ellen

Ellen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Tempted to try this after reading on other forum about Kevin Barry's triumph over tinnitus and hyperacusis (My life was a war against noise - The Irish Times).

The Shaolin Wahnam Institute has a forum - their talk on the third-eye opening frightens me though.

Acupuncturist recommends Tai Chi instead.

5. carlover
      English

Tinnitus Since:
    6. Joel

Joel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1/13

I think a good Tai Chi school can also be beneficial. Although I understand why Carl labels all Tai chi as bastardised. There are many instructors that water down techniques or omit them completely. But that does not mean that there aren't really helpful Tai Chi instructors or classes out there. I would say if you are specifically looking for Tai Chi to try to find a school that really focuses on breathing (chi kung) as well as technique and movement. So in other words a school like with have intensive breathing exercises along with the usual practice/teaching of tai chi forms.

7. carlover
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      With the utmost respect to you Joel ,if you think chi kung is breathing then somewhere wires are crossed ,its more about concentrating the mind and relaxing. Abdominal breathing does not come into play with a lot of chi kung because by thinking about your breathing too much you lose the ability to relax and focus.
      I would say IMHO chi kung is the petrol to taichi 's engine ,without the Petrol nothing much is going to happen with the Engine.As I say no disrespect meant here.

8. Joel

Joel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1/13
      No worries at all Carl. We're all here supporting each other so it's great to have open discussions like this.

I totally agree with you that chi kung (as I know it) is much more than simply breathing.

I guess I was trying to express that either path is great and can help with circulation, focus and energy movement (which can help T)

A solid tai chi instructor can lead a person to developing good chi kung techniques (although they are hard to find as you mentioned) and a solid chi kung instructor can lead to developing great tai chi (or any martial art) techniques/applications

I've always been intrigued when I see southern chi kung breathing (my style is northern) ..it always looks so rooted and powerful

9. carlover
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      Hey Joel ,thanks for taking It in the way itwas meant ,have a virtual Pint on me mate:)

You might find this Interesting ,I have been taught Zhineng chi kung by this guy.This video Is a bit "dry" if you get my English slang ,but really deep stuff ,hope you enjoy It Joel.;)

Three Levels Theory of Matter, Zhineng Qigong

10. Joel

Joel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1/13
      Cool! Thaks Carl .. I sent the link home so I can watch it later. I totally get you english slang ("dry') I'll make sure i'm not sleepy when I watch it ;-)

11. Ellen

Ellen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Pete,

I've a friend works with very difficult people all the time. She practises anger management techniques. But occasional anger gets through. When sudden anger comes, she feels blood pressure shoots to top of her head. She does not otherwise have high blood pressure. Her ears feel full and she hears her heart beat at times. The pressure in her head then gets rather intense, and it takes a while to disperse it.

She is interested in qigong, yoga, taiji or any form of exercise to help her. Do you have a suggestion if there is an exercise for

12. carlover
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi Ellen ,not really a matter of one exercise,she should maybe find a local Chi kung class.

Normally more Yoga teachers around than good chi kung teachers ,so yaga may be good.

In chinese medicine anger comes from the Liver ,Chi kung would re align the chi(energy) in the whole body and release that anger thats In her,good luck,Pete

13. Ellen

Ellen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Thanks, Pete, she's ordered a self-practice DVD as the class she's targetting starts only next month.

From what you experience, is the following authentic qigong?

http://www.selfgrowth.com/articles/Liver_Release_Qi_Gong.html

In the Chinese medicine system, the liver is associated with conditions involving hypertension, anemia, headaches at the top of the head, and the emotions of anger or compassion.

This simple qi gong liver release will empower you to begin cultivating an internal calmness within the liver meridian (energy pathway) to balance health manifestations that have an energetic root in the liver.

You can also use this medical qi gong release to calm yourself at the end of the day and help encourage restful sleep.

To begin, sit quietly in a comfortable position and exhale deeply.

Put your hands over your liver, located on the right side of the body under the rib cage.

A. Exhale as you tap the liver 5 times. Imagine releasing gray, heavy energy as you tap. Imagine releasing any feelings of anger or frustration.

B. Inhale and visualize serene, green energy flooding through the liver and nourishing feelings of peace and compassion.

Repeat steps A & B, 4 more times.

Place hands, palm over palm facing inward, over the area one inch below your belly button. Imagine storing vital energy at this point.

Breathe deeply and relax.

Know that you are prepared for whatever lies ahead in your day, evening or night.

14. carlover
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      Sounds very nice Ellen.Thing is though If Im being authentic to my 5 element acupuncture teachings which I studied and qualified (but never practiced) Your friends liver Imbalance could becoming from another organ.For example Kidneys relate to winter if they are not strong then the winter has not been as renourishing as It should be so It cannot get spring (liver ) to kick In as well as It should. Chinese medicine looks for the cause not the symptom ,if you see what I mean Ellen.
      Still Its a good start,all the best ,Pete

15. David Boucher
      Balanced

David Boucher Member

Tinnitus Since:
      n/a
      Hi, I've just seen this thread via a web search. Having studied Shaolin Cosmos qigong with Shaolin Wahnam for 12 years I would strongly recommend you try and receive some training. This is high-level qigong and it will transform your life. And, it comes with a money back guarantee! I've also been practicing Zen meditation for about 20 years and Karma Kagyu Tibetan buddhism for 11 years. Shaolin qigong as taught by this school will teach you how to generate a flow of qi (chi) throughout your body which will naturally flow to those places or blockages that most need healing. It will also enhance your other yogic practices in a thoroughly safe way (if practiced correctly). Most Tai Chi and qigong schools and teachers you find will not have the ability to give you the skills to generate a qi (chi) flow. Once you have experienced this for yourself you will immediately understand why it is so extraordinary.

16. bill 112
      Studious

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Hi guys just thought I'd post a thread about a new line of treatment that I'm starting soon.As some of you may have read his amazing story here or online I thought I would post a thread about my experiences.Kevin Barry is a man who was tormented for years with debilitating T and H,only to cure himself with the ancient art of Chi Kong(search tinnitus Chi Kong on Google for his story if your not familiar)
      I was amazed by his story and even more amazed to learn that he was from Ireland and doesn't live too far away from me:)With the help of a fellow TT member I managed to get in contact with him.We exchanged stories and I can tell by talking to him that he is 100% genuine,there is no way someone can describe what it's like living with T and H in the detail and personal accounts that he did unless they truly did suffer from the condition.Kevin to this day after many years is T and H free,he recently attended a Stones Roses concert in the Phoenix park with no issues.The exciting part for me and others here is that Kevin has agreed to teach me the very form of Chi Kong that cured his condition!Im starting with him very soon and will post updates here of,if any improvements.

• Like Like x 6
    17. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Team Awareness

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
    18. bill 112
      Studious

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I have no idea Valeri,he seemed very convinced by the art of Chi Kung.I'll be training under him soon though so hopefully I will be able to report back with some more info.I know this sort of thing is usual seen as"quackery"to most people,myself included if I'm honest but after speaking with him today I am more than willing to give it my best!He told me his own personal story and to get to where he is now could not of just happened by sheer chance,the man went from wearing earplugs just to tolerate a conversation to being front row at Stones Roses concert with no earplugs.Tempting faith if you ask me;)

19. Sarah Russett

Sarah Russett Member

Tinnitus Since:
      unknown
      Just for the sake of understanding, could one of you guys explain what chi kung is? And what is the theory here - that it would be relaxing and train the brain into letting go of unnecessary sound???

20. bill 112
      Studious

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Chi Kung is an ancient Chinese art of mindfulness,health and regeneration from what I understand.They say once you've mastered the art you can generate chi(a healing force)within your body.Im usually completely sceptical of magic hocus pocus things like this but from what I've read people are regularly curing cancer with this technic,there was even a story of a woman who was given 6 months to live who started practising Chi Kung only to baffle doctors and shrink her tumours into remission(anecdotal)I've read papers where researchers from I believe Harvard went to China to witness this first hand and they could neither dismiss or understand what they witnessed but people were indeed curing themselves of cancer.Now I know the Internet is full of stories so these things I mentioned should be taken with a pinch of salt.

21. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Team Awareness

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      I have some experience in Shibashi and 8 pieces of Brocade, first one done in the class second one self though from Internet.
      Also tried zhineng (medicinal qigong) but found it extremely confusing, never really persisted with it so that's the problem.

Regular practice is the key. Preferably twice a day, at the same time, I read it's like taking a medication, always at he same time.
      Of course that's not always possible but at least doing it regularly should give some benefits.
      Finding a proper instructor would only be more beneficial as qigong is much more than gentle exercise and breathing.
      Maybe @carlover and @adam2525 can chip in, they have a lot of knowledge and experience on the topic.
      Anyway, good luck and let us know how you go!

22. bill 112
      Studious

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Thanks Valeri:)I tried to teach myself Chi Kong a few times but just got more and more confused as....if I'm honest I literally had no idea what I was doing lol
      Kevin agreed to train me throughly in the art of Chi Kong and that if I didn't see results I wouldn't be charged that's how confident he is in what he practices.
      Carlover was the man who helped me contact him so a big cheers to Pete for that,I had to get someone from England to help me track someone down in Ireland who lives 20 minutes away,doubt I'll be a detective anytime soon lol.

• Like Like x 1
    23. Purple Parrot
      Bookworm

Purple Parrot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015 - 3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple: anxiety, childhood ear infections, loud music
      I'm keen to try Chi Kung! I hear it is very good for relaxation.

• Like Like x 1
    24. carlover
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      Oh purple my dear friend that doesnt even begin to get what Chi Kung can do for you,:D bill is going to be doing shaolin cosmos here is the MAIN MAN of that style

• Like Like x 1
    25. bill 112
      Studious

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I'm going to commit to this with all my heart too Pete:)If I get anything near the results Kevin got I'll be the happiest man on this planet!Ohh and does anyone know how to change your name on this site?My names not Bill and it's annoying me ever since I made this profile lol.My names Stephen King,yes just like the book writer;)

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    26. carlover
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      • Like Like x 1
    27. bill 112
      Studious

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Thanks Pete:)Been reading a lot about it lately,seems there's many variations and a lot of"fake"Chi Kung out there.Just happy I'm learning true Chi Kung from an experienced instructor!

28. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Yes! this sounds exciting

• Like Like x 1
    29. bill 112
      Studious

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I'm optimistic Mario,I just hope I see results:(I know it's not going to happen over night but any improvement is better than no improvement at this stage;)

• Like Like x 1
    30. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Yes bill, thats the spirit man, little by little improvement better show :)
      and its not coincidence you find help near to you city.
      in my case i found julian cowan videos about craneosacral therapy.
      and i went looking for a therapist and i found a very good one in mi city, now my whole family is going
      and im starting to see good results :)
      julian recommends a lot of body based therapies i guess chi kung could be one of those.

Hair Cells & Tinnitus

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1