Chiming, Music and Fizzing without Hearing Loss?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by HelenNZ, Jul 15, 2018.

1. HelenNZ

HelenNZ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi, I first noticed noises in my head 2 years ago, I am 73. That was just a faint fizzing when I was tired and particularly in the car. This was before the car accident 2 years ago so I could not claim that the accident caused it.

My partner died in the accident and I am suffering from severe lack of motivation to the extent that I am getting almost no exercise and my diet is definitely not healthy as I am operating on only doing what I can persuade myself is absolutely necessary - and that gets less and less.

A couple of months ago I started hearing a bird? a phone? finally I realised that it was a noise in my head that comes when I shake my head.

I was getting worried about all this so manged to get to the doctor who put me on Citalopram. When I got up to the recommended 3 tablets a day I started getting music in my head. Sometimes it is just a phrase repeated several times. The doctor gave my some amitryptiline to help me sleep and if I do get a good sleep the volume is much less but I felt I needed to know whether it would go away if I stop taking the citalopram. The music has pretty much gone away although after 3 weeks of it day and night it is fairly lodged in my memory.

I still have the chiming and the fizzing. So I have been googling which is how I found this group. At first everything that I found assumed that tinnitus is caused by/related to hearing loss. I have had significant hearing loss measured by an audiologist but I find that explanation unconvincing. I'm interested to know about anyone with tinnitus without hearing loss.

2. bSiDeQuiEtWaTeRS
      Buzzed

bSiDeQuiEtWaTeRS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/1997
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      soundwaves, transformers, vibrations, sirens, decibels, life
      I'm sorry you lost your partner in a car accident. I'm sorry you have some troubling issues with tinnitus. I have tinnitus (caused by sound and volume) without any real hearing loss but I believe certain frequencies have dips on an audiogram...and tinnitus only is getting worse (not too rapidly though...I hope). I'd wager I had better hearing in days gone by but that is not my concerning issue; rather the buzzing and ringing and junk. I don't have any answers for you about those noises in your head...I just wanted to respond to your post. Is a certain noise only when you shake your head...but otherwise is silent? And music in your ears...like a melody or something?...I've heard of that and I hope it is gone for you but it just sounds so wild and interesting. I pray you recover and have peace and happiness in dealing with life and love.