Chocolate/Cacao and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Danny Boy, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Ok, I ate have a bar of chocolate yesterday and had a massive spike in tinnitus, like it was 50% louder and you could hear the hyperactivity of it...I woke up today and now it's quieter, like 50% lower...Is this normal?

2. inadmin

inadmin Member

how long between the chocolate eating and the spike?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      And hour or two..I did have a lot of sugar yesterday too! It was scary! It was loud enough for me to want to die, had to take a sleeping tablet to sleep...But woke up and it's ok again...I keep getting higher and lower tinnitus all the time?

4. inadmin

inadmin Member

Yes sugar is known to be a trigger, along with salt, MSG.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      It's so not fair that you have to cope with this noise and even stop enjoying the things you liked before tinnitus.

6. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      @Danny Boy
      Sorry but i dont think that chocolate has got anything to do with it at all.
      I think that what is happening is that it is simply going up and down.
      If you took a sleeping pill then maybe you had a good sleep and this is what has caused the reduction.
      Mine seems to have no reason at all.
      I get stress and it goes up, I get stress and it goes down.
      I get sleep and it goes down, I get sleep and it goes up.
      ENT told me to take ATARAX to sleep and it would help it cos i would get more sleep and therey reduce the brain fatigue....
      Who knows but i dont think chocolate is the reason so enjoy your choco and you may find that if you are happier then it may go down....
      Mine was practically non existant yesterday and this morning after a good sleep, it is higher than ever.
      Yesterday it moved fm my right ear to my left.
      And was not in right ear.
      Today it is back only in right ear and not in left ear...
      So.....

• Like Like x 1
    7. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      Luckily for me, diet seems to not affect my tinnitus. On the flip side, that also means there's nothing I can do to make it better.

And was that the very first time you've had chocolate since tinnitus? If not and this never happened before, then it sounds like it's just coincidence. It's natural to try to determine a cause when there might not be one. My tinnitus changes constantly too and sometimes it randomly gets loud.

• Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Chocolate does have an affect on tinnitus, it's a stimulant thus can cause a spike in volume due to increased hyperactivity of the neurones.

9. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      @DannyBoy

@DannyBoy

Please dont take what I say about chocolate the wrong way.
      So say some people re chocolate. Other people have had it for ages and have ascertained that it makes no difference to their T whatsoever. It is not solid proven evidential. It may make a difference. It may not. Salt may make a difference. Cheese can make a difference. I have read so many things about diet on line and practically every piece of food can affect good or bad. The only thing that I can see would be real bad for it evidentially is Aspartame and Monosodium Glutamate. Otherwise it may just be cyclical T or a sign that it is beginning to change and indeed get better.

By the way, a russian friend of mine had it for 2 months. He took a smart drug (troopics or something - i can find out) and it went away and stayed away permananatly. According to him the thing to do was take this drug. So is he right? Well in that case how come it is not known round the world as a cure. Cos it worked for him - same with the idea of chocolate.....

Hope you are feeling good today Danny and that it is low for you.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I'm not taking it in the wrong way...Just every time I have chocolate of caffeine my tinnitus spikes...

11. Teri
      Caffeine

Teri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2014
      I have Endolymphatic hydrops (inner ear fluid) which causes my T. For me, salt, caffeine (chocolate has caffeine), alcohol have an effect on my condition.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    12. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Why would you have to stop enjoying the things you liked before tinnitus?

Dr. Stephen Nagler

• Like Like x 1
    13. RicoS
      Alienated

RicoS Member Benefactor

Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress or Acoustic trauma
      Because for him it makes the sound louder and I have a guess that he does not like the sound becoming louder :bored:

Your question to him is kind of easy to say when the person in question is still in panic-mode and you are fully habitated. o_O If you do not know how to cope yet and think that even a raindrop can make it worse for you, you will have second thoughts to go out into the rain.

My T spikes when it does...sometimes no clear reason. So I wait for it to settledown on its own. My reaction last year would be that I should stop drinking cola or sprite and go in state of emergency for the time it lasts.

If you have bad T ...you WILL stop things you enjoyed ....even if it is for a period of time until you find your way. And even if you not stop doing things you enjoy, you experience them in a different way.

And if you still do the things you enjoy and it does not bother you....why are you on this forum and not live life as normal as ever?

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Funny Funny x 1
    14. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      @RicoS , I think Dr.Nagler must have forgotten what it's like, after all it was 20 years ago.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. RicoS
      Alienated

RicoS Member Benefactor

Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress or Acoustic trauma
      If you are a doctor you should know better instead of asking this stupid question :confused:

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      @RicoS , maybe it has nothing to do with being a doctor, maybe its a question to provoke people into a heated debate and watch the thread crash and burn :nailbiting:
      I'm sure if Dr.Nagler wanted to, he could explain to Danny Boy (the way you did quite nicely) why people try to avoid things at first.
      Maybe, I don't know.

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Well...I can't eat chocolate, go to the cinema...I have to avoid loud places...No more green/white tea and I have to watch my sugar/salt levels...Otherwise tinnitus spikes by 50%...That's far too much to handle.

18. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Well maybe you could put in earplugs when you know its gonna be loud ?

19. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      @DannyBoy

Are you certain that when you remove tea from your daily diet it reduces your T by 50%?
      I ask genuinely cos I drink tea (p g tips one cup) and wondered if I stop will it reduce mine by 50% then.
      Please let me know thanks

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      It's worth a try. I had a cup of tea and afterwards tinnitus got much louder.

21. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      @amandine , some people's tinnitus is sensitive to caffeine, salt, sugar, msg, etc. especialy in the first months of tinnitus. I suggest you keep experimenting what works for you and what things make your T spike.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Does it fluctuate a lot in the first few months?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    23. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Danny Boy,

Yes, it is more likely to fluctuate in the first few months, and some people have ongoing fluctuations. At first, I cut out salt, caffeine, chocolate, aspartame, etc., in the hope that my tinnitus would settle down. But now, I don't think it makes any difference in my T at all. Last night (Halloween), I had several pieces of chocolate and it did not affect my tinnitus at all; in fact, my tinnitus is pretty calm today.

You're right to cut out caffeine and chocolate for right now, and wait a few months. Then, you could try gradually adding one thing back in at a time, to see how it affects you.

I'm so sorry you're having a bad time right now. Things will hopefully get better for you soon!! Distracting yourself works when you're having a spike, and keeping as calm and quiet as possible. I hope you have a better day tomorrow.

Best wishes and hugs,
      Karen

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    24. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      @Danny Boy posted:

"It's so not fair that you have to cope with this noise and even stop enjoying the things you liked before tinnitus."

I responded:

"Why would you have to stop enjoying the things you liked before tinnitus?"

@RicoS responed:

"Because for him it makes the sound louder and I have a guess that he does not like the sound becoming louder."

Then he's making a decision to give up the things he enjoys in life because of how they might affect his tinnitus. That would be his choice. But it is not his only choice.

My point here is that until somebody comes up with a cure for tinnitus, there are two ways to go about solving this problem.

One is to let the sound in your head dictate how you live and what you do.

And the other is to take meaningful purposeful steps to resume control of your life in spite of the sound in your head.

One is to let tinnitus drive your bus.

And the other is for you to drive your own bus and relegate your tinnitus to the back seat - or better still, kick it off your bus entirely.

Dr. Stephen Nagler

• Like Like x 2
    25. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      He makes it sound so easy .

• Agree Agree x 3
    26. Relic Hunter
      Cynical

Relic Hunter Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1990
      My medical doctor suggested I start eating a small portion of dark chocolate daily. I really do not like dark chocolate but thought I would give it a try. My T. went thru the roof. I do not ever remember have a spike when eating just milk chocolate. Needless to say I have stopped the high percent chocolate bars.

27. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      The reason I post on this board - the only reason I post on this board - is that even after 20 years I remember all too well what it was like. It was beyond awful. It was so bad I could taste it. The nightmare of all nightmares, except in the morning you didn't wake up from it. It just kept going on ... and on ... and on.

And I'm here to tell folks that they can overcome it, just like I did.

I never said it was easy. All I said was that it can be done.

Dr. Stephen Nagler

28. Karl28
      No Mood

Karl28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2001 bad since 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music via headphones

Haha you sound just like me....ah fuck

29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      The issue is, what if the volume is far too loud? What if it's so loud, that you can hear it over everything, quite clearly, even trains?

30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      It's horrible isn't it? I'm trying notched music at the moment, to help with the tinnitus...It's meant to reduce it.