Christmas Spike

Discussion in 'Support' started by Tweaker, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Hi Guys

I was actually doing not too bad a couple of days ago. I managed to get in a fairly relaxed state, having been off work for a few days. Yesterday it was time for my side of the family to come over for Christmas. Oh boy, it was one noisy day in my house with all the festivities. I didn't notice my T much during the day because of all the noise but after everyone had left, the tinnitus starting ramping up. I was still awake at around 1am and the T had peaked. Today I have some ear fullness and blasting T.

I seem to be becoming more reactive to general noise these days and I don't know why. Perhaps just part of my worsening T. Actually my Uncle's girlfriend who came over told me she had tinnitus and she said because of all the noise, her T had spiked, which made me feel more normal. I knew mine would spike also.

I hope it settles a bit soon. Not sure why I have the ear fullness but I get that from time to time. It's so difficult trying to live a normal life when what is a normal day for everyone else, causes problems for me, which may last days.

All we can do is control noise levels where we can and maybe accept that we will get spikes. It's so easy to withdraw from society if we are not careful. My family had a good time and that is important. I won't have caused any permanent damage, so for my kid's sake I'll soldier on and try to make their life with their old Dad as normal as can be.

Let's hope we all see an improvement in 2018.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. Elfin
      Wishful

Elfin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      great attitude. best wishes, brother!

• Like Like x 1
    3. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      All I can say is this, I was at a birthday party 2 nights ago and it was loud. These people had karaoke in one room and they had a mini bose boom box in other room. These people were screaming and just living life, at times I was a bit scared that my ears would get worst. I didn't care, I danced with these women that were pretty and then sang karaoke and just lived it and was very happy.

I been testing this idea and it's making a lot of sense to me now. Fear/anxiety can be way worst, than actual sounds(at times). This is not 100%(does not apply to all cases at 100%), but simply over-thinking and re-living any noise whether it is loud or not loud, can just bring on stress/anxiety and then possibly bring on a spike. That spike can remain as long as the fear/anxiety are not controlled. I am not advising people, to go to loud parties...not at all. I am simply saying that our perception of things, events, places, noise makes a HUGE difference...in how we live.

***Hyperacusis, changes everything, and makes things much harder. I had it before for 5 years and i know just how hard it can be. *****

Btw, I don't use ear plugs at these parties. I have a wedding coming up and I know it will be loud and I will have ear plugs ready if i have to use them and then it's new years eve celebration with more loud music(both shall be on sunday). I look forward to it all :)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
      • Like Like x 5
    4. sandra72

sandra72 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      may 2014
      Pretty nice words. And I think you're wright. I still have a bad faer/anxiety en my T fluctuats a lot. And mine sound is louder than it whas.

• Like Like x 1
    5. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I will share this with you this about fear/anxiety. Fear/anxiety in general is a controlling mechanism that will bring limitations in life. Not just in a case related to tinnitus, but life in general. We as humans want to live in a comfortable and predictable life. It's a natural thing, I myself was like this for many years and I dealt with fear as well. It's pushing that fear and pushing through that anxiety that we grow and continue to evolve. Now some have OCDs and other fear/anxiety issues. I did too and still have it a bit. It's just waking up one day and saying, that we don't like how things are and we simply want to change it. It is not an overnight thing, but we can take those small steps and those small steps shall lead, to our desired outcome eventually.

I have empathy for those that have anxiety and fear, I know firsthand just how horrible it is and my post is not to offend those people. I am simply saying that I was one of those people and just got tired of it and wanted a new life, a new perspective, a new joy and not the old misery I use to live with.

Tinnitus is a controlling ordeal and it can limit people and what they do. I simply got tired of it and do not let the fear or anxiety of ringing keep me from living the one life I was given :)

I been at this for 30 years now and we simply pick up some golden nuggets of wisdom, as we age and experience more in life :)

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tweaker
      Transparent

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Thanks for your kind words.

I like your attitude fishbone but please still be careful around loud noise buddy. I too don't wear earplugs as they make my T unbearable whlist wearing them.
      I've kinda accepted I can't do some of the things 'normal' people do but I know other people who can't even walk, so I count my blessings. I long for Spring when I can walk down the Country lane near my home and hear the birds singing. The closest thing to heaven on earth for my tinnitus-smitten soul.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      My Xmas day was loutish, nieces screaming, Xmas crackers and about 2 hours of YouTube music videos and some sing alongs to them. No spike at all, I feel fortunate compared to some of you on here who got spikes, I wonder what causes them in some and not others.

8. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Did you ask your family to keep the noise down?

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tweaker
      Transparent

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      There are a couple of family members who find that impossible for more than 5 seconds. Also lots of pass the parcels with music and wrapping paper being ripped open. I have a crazy family.

• Hug Hug x 1