Clonazepam Withdrawal

Discussion in 'Support' started by TracyJS, Jun 1, 2018.

1. TracyJS

TracyJS Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Hi, looking for some advice. I have talked about this before on the forum.

I took Clonazepam .5mg to 1mg 6-7 times over 3 weeks and then took it continuously either .5 or 1mg for one week.

I’ve been tapering now for about 5 weeks. I started the taper at .75 since it was in between dose.
      I’m now down to .25 a day.

I’m not sure if I’m doing this right. I don’t have help from my psychiatrist since he suggested a much more rapid taper.

I am noticing an increase in my anxiety and a high pitch to tinnitus and perhaps an increase in hyperacusis.

I’m also feeling much more depressed and having dark thoughts.

How much longer should I taper?
      Should I be tapering longer than I took the med?

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Tracy,

If it is possible, I think you should have a word with your primary care doctor/GP about you feeling depressed and dark thought. The doctor should then be able to advise you, whether to come off the clonazepam a little sooner and perhaps, give advice on how to treat your low mood so you don't feel so depressed.

All the best
      Michael

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TracyJS

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Thanks, Michael.
      I don’t think my primary doctor will be very helpful, unfortunately. Since she didn’t prescribe the medication, she would refer me to the psychiatrist who did, whom I can’t afford to see anymore.

I would have to see another psychiatrist.

4. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I was stuck(due to a mis-diagnosis) on 4mg of harsh benzos for 3+ months and then tapered for over a year to get off. The HELL i went through while on that stuff and tapering was beyond unreal.

Tapering slow is the key, but do understand that while on the drugs, while you taper and even off the drugs your body/mind can be affected. After you are off, it will take time for things to adjust.

My tinnitus got worst due to this mess and it is what it is. I am not saying, yours will be the same (your situation).

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TracyJS

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      @fishbone
      You were only on benzo’s for 3 months and you tapered a year?

6. fishbone
      Shitfaced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      4mg of benzos is no joke. You cannot rapid taper on that, it's dangerous or it can be....

I am not advising you on a taper plan, i share what i had to go through to get off that mess......

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      I'd advise you to consult your situation with a clinical pharmacist (docs ask them frequently about drugs interactions, dosings etc. → the real pros when it comes to drugs) or another experienced pharmacist.

I'm in a clonazepam w/d myself - it's no joke, and this is what I did.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TracyJS

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      @Jiri
      I don’t even know where I would find a clinical pharmacist or an experienced pharmacist. I have no idea.

9. emmalee
      No Mood

emmalee Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      Tracy...

Clinical pharmacists interact, coordinate, and work directly with physicians, other health professionals, and patients to ensure that the medications prescribed for patients contribute to the best possible health outcomes. Clinical pharmacists practice in many different health care environments: hospitals and their affiliated outpatient clinics, emergency departments, community pharmacies, physicians’ offices, community-based clinics, nursing homes, and managed care organizations.

10. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      @TracyJS
      Clinical pharmacists where I live work in hospitals. Here they hold the title PharmDr. (Pharm.D). Pharmaciae Doctor

I don't know what's the situation like in the U.S. but if you're lucky you could run into one in a better pharmacy too.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TracyJS

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      @emmalee @Jiri
      Still not sure how I could contact one.
      I don’t think I can just phone the hospital and ask for a clinical pharmacist.

12. emmalee
      No Mood

emmalee Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      Where do you get your prescriptions filled, Tracy? Perhaps you could start there. Ask the pharmacist how to go about finding one. It is a starting point.

Edited to add...

I would call the hospital and ask, it is a very good question and I am sure they would be willing to help.

13. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      That's exactly what I did. They usually have their own department in the hosp. I google searched one, phoned the lady explaining to her my situation and then made an appointment.

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TracyJS

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      You made an appointment? It probably costs money here to do that.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TracyJS

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      @Jiri
      I know you are not an expert, but does the tapering I’ve been doing based on time taking the medication sound reasonable?

16. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @TracyJS There is no rule for certain individuals on length of time for what may be an extended withdrawal period. Withdrawal charts don't include all with certain conditions. Dr. Nagler has said that those with tinnitus may need to double withdrawal charting time.

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TracyJS

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      But what dose doubling look like?
      My doctor would have had me taper in a few weeks.
      I’ve been going down 10 percent roughly each week/week in a half.
      I was only on the medication continually for one week and before that took it 6-7 times over three weeks. So no longer than a month and between either .5 or 1mg when taken.

18. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
    19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TracyJS

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Um, that looks too complicated for me. And I’ve been just cutting the pills down. I’ve already been tapering for about 5 weeks.
      I’m not sure I could figure out how to do it.
      And I don’t have an unlimited supply of Clonazepam. I can’t see the psychiatrist who prescribed it anymore.

20. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      Probably so. Tho, just like @emmalee said, go first to a normal pharmacy and try to get some more info. If they're not willing to help (which they should be, especially if you're in a w/d from a tranquilizer), then go to a different one.

It is a good starting point. You could also very well try finding one online, and then directly call the person.

Keep in mind, you want to talk to someone who's an experienced pharmacist (not a pharm. trainee e.g.).
      I say I'm no expert because without a medical qualification I don't feel ok giving clinical advice. Therefore, I can only offer you my opinion.

You have been on the benzo for a short period of time and in the beginning you weren't even taking it continuously + then you started tapering. Now you're on 0.25 mg/a day you say. That's the lowest dose possible here.

You know what Prof. Ashton said? You can take benzos continuously for 2 - 4 weeks max., so you're ok. It looks reasonable to me. If you've been on 0.25 mg/a day for say 2 weeks now you could just stop and then see how you feel.

I started on 6 mg of Clonazepam a day the first month and am still w/ding bec my idiotic, unprofessional psych. didn't make me withdraw from the drug properly when the time was right.

Still, my advice to you is to consult this with a clinical pharmacist or another good pharmacist (Pharm.D).

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TracyJS

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I actually have only gotten down to .25 mg the last few days. Was going to stay on that a few more days and then reduce from there for a few more days or so.

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      I think you'll be fine. Still, go and consult this with a medical pro. Better safe than sorry. In my country you cannot be on these drugs without a supervision. Can't find a M.D.? Pharmacist it is.

Also, check this out: http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=9522.0

23. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @TracyJS I agree with Jiri, but I had to taper down when I got to the 0.25 level for a few additional days. Everyone is different so even a Pharm.D. may not know how you will react. Do what your body and mind wants since you are having some anxiety with hyperacusis. That may mean a few extra days of tapering down from 0.25.

• Agree Agree x 1
    24. grate_biff
      In pain

grate_biff Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma using headphones
      Craziest thing I ever heard!

25. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      Tell me about it. If only I knew back then what I know now... then followed the cuts: - 2.5 mg the next month to 3.5 mg/day for 2 & 1/2 months, and then again - 1.5 mg to 2 mg/day. Literally from one day to another, just like that.

I was spinning like a fidget spinner in my bed and the pain + tinnitus... oh well, still withdrawing. Now I'm down to 1.5 mg/day and tapering sensibly, finally.

The craziest part is that my (ex)psychiatrist made me withdraw from some other psych. drugs simultaneously. No taper plan, nothing. Trial and error. Think she got her medical degree at McDonald's..

26. grate_biff
      In pain

grate_biff Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma using headphones
      Seems like it.
      But how on earth could you tolerate going straight at that dose? You must have felt pretty funny in your head, I would think? Since it have a pretty long half life as well, I guess you took it through out the day, not bc you needed to, but bc you was told to?
      Either way, there are no experts when it comes to these drugs. Every health professional seems pretty clueless if you ask me. When withdrawal hits us, we are left alone and only have others in the same situation to hold on to. Experts? No such thing!!
      I´m in my 6th year of withdrawal, but was on that shit for 20 years. (15-50 mg Oxazepam 2-3 times a week) Plus alcohol and Mirtazapine fucked it all up along the way!

27. fishbone
      Shitfaced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      There is no exact science when it comes to tapering. Detox programs are a tad bit better than cold turkey. A slow taper is a good way to approach this mess. I was feeling every side effect known to mankind while on the benzos, tapering and off it. It takes some time for the body and mind to heal. Slow is always better, again there is no exact science on tapering. One of the biggest issues i faced while on, tapering and off the benzos was numbness in my limbs.

I recall when I beat my addiction and was on the road to recovery. I was driving on the highway one night doing 73 mph and i was in the middle lane. All of a sudden all my limbs went numb and i couldn't feel my hands and feet. I had cars on both sides of me. I was numb for 2-3 minutes and somehow i managed to not crash my car and get killed. I kept it cool and did not panic when my limbs went numb, this was SO CRUCIAL to me surviving...

Benzos will affect people in different ways. My stories might not be your stories, but if you truly want to be off these horrible pills, then do a slow taper. Even slow tapers are not 100% guaranteed with the post withdrawals, but its a much better chance than a rapid taper or detox

PS- I have been through so much hell in my life that I can come here and share my wisdom and help people possibly avoid my misfortunes :)

Bless all.....

28. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      If you don't mind, I'd like to ask which benzo you were on. I took a total of only 17 mg's of clonazepam, in .5 mg doses, over a relatively short time during the last couple of months of 2017. I did not believe that needed to taper, as I had only used the drug 32 times. My big mistake was when I went cold turkey in December, which I'm still suffering from today, five months later. My very difficult withdrawal was probably exacerbated due to my having taken Xanax a few times a week from 2004-2009.

29. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      Yes, I heard about detox centres in the U.S. You could be on benzos for years and they'd make you come off them within a week. Suicide.

I'm sorry to hear about your near death experience and the torture you have gone through yourself. You are correct in that there are no strict guidelines or consesus on how to get off these drugs safely, since everybody is different.

That is why I decided to set up this thread: Psychopharmaceuticals to raise awareness of psych. drugs. Now, after my own bad experience I recommend to double-check with a clinical pharmacist (Pharm.D) that may well collaborate with your psychiatrist on your treatment. 'The Ashton Manual' explains benzos pretty well.

30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TracyJS

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Are you doing a dry taper or a liquid taper?
      Have you noticed any worsening of T and H?
      Not sure I’m glad my to be able to consult with a clinical pharmacist.