Clubbing/Going Out with Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by MiaX, Aug 10, 2016.

1. MiaX
      Fine

MiaX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably tension in the jaw, neck and shoulders
      Hi guys! :)

In january I developed tinnitus, although I doubt if I didn't already have it, but just didn't pay attention to it. The reason I have tinnitus, is probably tension in my jaw and/or tension in my neck and shoulders. I don't have hearing loss, my hearing is even better than average.

I feel "fine" with my tinnitus: I don't really have a problem with it, I am just used to it now. The only thing that really bothers me, is that I don't dare to go clubbing. Clubbing and going to parties is something that I really like, I can really look forward to a night like that and even afterwards I think about it with a smile on my face., but with my tinnitus, I am just too afraid. :( Sometimes I think: I really going to be regretting this later, but the thought about making my tinnitus worse seems even worse than not going out.

Today I thought: I want to give it a chance, tomorrow I am going to buy costum made earplugs (these things are soo expencive), but 5 mintues later I think: no, Mia, just no, you're not going to take the risk that your tinnitus is going to get worse (I have heard about a lot of people who had tinnitus which got worse after clubbing with costum made earplugs) and you will not enjoy the party, because you will constantly be stressed...

What do you guys think? I know I have to make the decision, but I just don't know..

2. Sgguy46
      Jaded

Sgguy46 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      how loud is your T? can u hear it in a bus?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MiaX
      Fine

MiaX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It is not really loud, it depends on how busy I am, but no, I can't hear it in a bus.

4. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      You will find people on this website that continue to go to clubs/gigs with T who have good and bad experiences. It is up to you.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MiaX
      Fine

MiaX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, so true... I just can't decide and it just makes me sad that I'm never able to go with my friends.

6. Sam Bridge

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      If it helps i am going to a concert on Saturday. I've actually been to a few shows since T with no problems :)

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MiaX
      Fine

MiaX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Really? Good to know, thanks!

8. Sam Bridge

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Well yeah, think about it. There are millions of people with tinnitus. How many people on this website, about 7-8 thousand and even there are posts here about people still going to clubs/concerts let alone the millions of others which i bet good number of still go out to loud places.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MiaX
      Fine

MiaX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, you're right, I will think about it, thanks!

10. Sara_Bond
      Cool

Sara_Bond Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Honestly I wouldn't take the risks.

Even your T is not loud, and not noise-induced, you may know that exposing your ears to loud sounds are not good for the ears. And ears are priceless. You can go to restaurants, chic bars, open air clubs on the beach. Why risking that. You can have fun with your friends in so many ways!

And people say that plugs do protect but they don't really protect on a long exposure. All I can say is take care of your ears!

• Agree Agree x 2
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MiaX
      Fine

MiaX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for your advice! When I will go out, I will not be longer than 3 hours in the club, but even that is long, I know..

12. Sebastians

Sebastians Member

Tinnitus Since:
      13/10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Guitars, loud girls and guns
      What is so great about clubs? Even before T i hated all those obnoxious drunk dudes bumping into me all the time, not to mention the low-quality girls.

• Like Like x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MiaX
      Fine

MiaX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I say clubs, but I actually mean parties specially for students. The people there are really nice and I don't know, I think I like the atmosphere there.

14. Sebastians

Sebastians Member

Tinnitus Since:
      13/10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Guitars, loud girls and guns
      Okay, student parties can be quite okay and are an integral part of student life. I get you now. Just be very very careful with your ears.

15. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      Custom hearing protection for sure. Get the highest level of attenuation possible, usually -25 or -26 but I think a couple brands have stronger ones. Personally I really like my ACS plugs, which are probably the second most common after the Etymotic ER's - the ACS plugs provide better attenuation across all frequencies so I'd recommend them.

If you do go out, always use your plugs. Stay away from big speaker stacks. Drink plenty of water, and take regular breaks and go outside for a bit. Don't plan on doing marathon party sessions either. Supplement with NAC, B12, Niacin, Magnesium and similar supplements that supposedly protect your hearing.

And if for some reason, your tinnitus does get worse significantly (massive increase in volume, ear pain, muffled hearing) - head immediately to the doctor and get on a course of oral corticosteroids.

You'll always get polarizing opinions hear, but I'm all about living life and for some people the nightlife is massive part of this, especially when you're younger. Just be smart, don't rush into it and make sure you do all the research you can. It's a personal decision, just make sure you're informed and prepared.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    16. Vincent R
      Caffeine

Vincent R Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      It's custom made earplugs or staying home. I wouldn't trust normal ones to give sufficinent protection. You can also use boose noice cancellations headphones on top of them.

Which seems to answer your question, doesn't it? Clubbing with custom made earplugs is, in fact, not safe for your ears. If others got hurt, so can you.

This answers your question as well. Big risk for no gain. Potential life long consequences.

Find new ways to socialize. Cool people do exist outside a party context.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    17. Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (loud concert for 1h)
      From someone that got noise induced T, I would not take one step in a club ever again. I was at at a concert for 1,5 hour, and bam, Tinnitus. So I wouldn't take the risks but of course, I cannot say if will get worse since I have avoided any loud places ever since my onset. There are members here that have been clubbing or seeing a concert (with proper protection) but no one can really tell you how your ears will be affected. You simply have to be ready for a worsening T at the worst scenario. If that is something you 100% cannot live with, then don't go.