Co-Amiloride (Diuretics) to Get Rid of Fluid in the Inner Ear — It Helps!

Discussion in 'Support' started by Codaz, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Codaz

Codaz Member

Because of my diminished hearing on the low frequencies and vertigo issues my ENT prescribed Co-Amiloride 5/50 mg. Twice a day a half pill (so 1 a day).

It's helping to get rid of fluid in the inner ear. And yes, it helps!

My tinnitus overal is much lower.

Also make sure you get your blood checked for Vitamin D shortage. This can cause the vertigo issues too.

I hope this benefits someone.

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Codaz

Codaz Member

Please note that the effect for now is temporary. My tinnitus becomes higher again after a couple of hours.

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      @Codaz
      I do not have time now to look through your posts to see if you have ear fulness, so i ask you directly: did you (do you) experience ear fulness?
      If yes, the ear fulness is eased a bit in those two hours after taking half a pill?if yes, the ear fulness returnes to the previous level when ti notus retunes to the previous level?

4. BuzzyBee
      Bookworm

BuzzyBee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      Great question! @Codaz, thanks for letting us know that the diuretic seems to be working. Some people say they cause tinnitus, while others say they help.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Codaz

Codaz Member

For Co-Amiloride it is indeed mentioned in the paper in the box. But my ENT is a professor at a hospital that does a lot of tinnitus patients so I'm sure he would not prescribe it as it may cause more T. And yes, I was scared for it.

Ear fulness what do you mean with that?

6. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      If you ever felt as if you ear(s) is(are) "full", or "clogged" or "pressured".
      The phenomenon is also named "auricular fullness".
      One can feel this "aural fullnes" in his middle or his inner ears.

If your tinnitus is eased by a diuretic, i thought that you may have endolymphatic hydrops, whose simptoms are tinnitus and aural fullness

7. BuzzyBee
      Bookworm

BuzzyBee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      I'm glad you went ahead and tried it despite being scared. I've had doctors mention things to me, but I'm so scared of spikes and medicines making things worse, that I can't try. Every time a doctor suggests something, I visit this board and read how it causes spikes or has terrible side effects :(. So good for you for trying despite being hesitant and I hope it helps.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Codaz

Codaz Member

In the past I delayed taking medrol because I was too afraid to try and discussed it with my GP. He said it would not help and send me home. How wrong could I have been as we all know it helps (some). When I came back to the professors team they were mad that I didn't follow there advice. And yes, I know that no medical profession is taking responsibility for what they prescribe you, as side effects are in their eyes "rare". But let's say you get anti biotics for lung infection. You cannot blame your doc later for treating you for that lung infection which gave you T. You can try, but probably it will not go anywhere. And yes, I have read the ototoxic handbook before I took this, and I have search on Google / scientific papers and this forum to see if others had the same problems and or drugs.

One ENT where I am now for a second opinion strongly believes that I have the endolymphatic hydrops. I'm not fully convinced because the T fluctuates with pain in my face (like it did on the right side of my face which I got years of therapy for). However, because the diuretic eases it, I continue to take it.

About the aural fulness: it's sometimes if there is a cotton in your ear, is that correct? Yes I feel that but not always. It depends on the day. ENT's don't have an answer for it but I think that because there is more endolymphatic fluid and thus more pressure in the endolympathic sac there is the aural fulness. I'm not sure, but this is what I have read in the book "Dizzy Me".

9. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      @Codaz
      I have such extreme aural fullness that it surpassed with a lot the sensation of a cotton in my ear.
      So you have some aural fullness, but not that much.
      Ok, thanks for the answer.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Codaz

Codaz Member

For now the only thing that helps in that ear is co-amiloride.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Codaz

Codaz Member

A month later and the effect seems so-so as I had to stop 48 hours of taking amiloride and betaserc before ENG dizziness testing. In those 48 hours I noticed some more dizziness (but no meniere or dizziness attacks) so I wonder if it really helps at all. The betaserc does seem to help. I'm going to test further.