Cochlear Hydrops? Is It Curable? And Other Questions

Discussion in 'Support' started by joshlar, May 31, 2018.

1. joshlar

joshlar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD/Hidden hearing loss/Anxiety ?
      Hello Everyone,

I had a question concerning Cochlear Hydrops if it doesn't bother you to answer.

My tinnitus came from nowhere after an ear infection. First it was in my left ear but after a mild noise trauma a very very mild low pitch sound started in my right ear as well.

My audiogram shows no hearing loss and it doesn't seem to fluctuate over time and stays the same.

However my both ears feel blocked now they seem to pop but I never get relief since 2 moths.. I first taught it is TTTS but now I am starting to worry about having cochlear hydrops and it really scares me...

I will make an auditory evoked potential and an OAE test in 2 weeks. Can it eliminate the cochlear hydrops hypothesis?

Is cochlear hydrops curable? Is it possible to have cochlear hydrops without hearing loss or fluctuating hearing or balance/dizziness/vertigo issues? Are the fullness experiences by people with cochlear hydrops episodic or is it all the time?

Best,
      Joshua

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hydrops is like Menieres without it being a degenerative disease that causes permanent hearingloss and sever tinnitus.
      Hydrops comes in episodes and can affect your balance as tiny crystals form on the tiny hairs in your cochlear.
      Love glynis x

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Stocktrader86

Stocktrader86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      cold/flu
      Glynis, while I agree with your statement of episodes like Menieres, I think there is more to it than that. Also, you did not really clarify if this was curable or goes away... while this is unknown, it is not impossible. If I was a betting man i would say 50/50 odds on this...

They define it as treatable, but not necessarily. curable

To answer the original question, yes cochlear hydrops comes without vertigo, but frequently has balance issues or sensation. It seems to be more loosely defined, but typically they say certain frequency hearing loss is an attribute to it or fluttering hearing loss...

Wish you the best of luck and please post us replies. I have likely had this condition for about 2 months now and just started diuretic course. Next steps are betahistine and then steroid injections... more serious options are things such as endolymphatic sac decompression.

Also, there is a possibility of cochlear going full menieres... which is hopefully avoidable with proper treatment and a low sodium diet... but this is just my opinion as I am not an expert.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      How are you doing with hydrops? Did it go away?