Cod Liver Oil

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by jeannie, Aug 18, 2015.

1. jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced, Ear Infection, Medication... Who knows?
      I have read on a forum that cod liver oil has reduced someone's tinnitus... what do you think??? isn't it dangerous and can turn you blue?

2. derpytia
      Pooptoast

derpytia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014 (many increases since then)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Progressive hearing loss / noise / ETD
      cod liver oil isn't trobalt so i don't think it will turn you blue (could be wrong though). i remember hearing about cod liver oil when i was a kid. my elders swore by it for rickets, brain function, healing wounds, arthritis...

is there a link you can share from that forum?

3. Kopesy
      English

Kopesy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'll never know
      I take them daily & have been for a couple of years now. Let me check.... nope, I'm still white (perhaps I need to get out in the sun more..) ^_^

I know it can help with all of what @derpytia says & also the heart ofc! I don't see why it won't help with T, considering circulation is primarily from the heart. Overall it's a very good supplement to take. (Unless you're Veggie or Vegan ofc)

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      I've never heard of Cod Liver Oil making anyone blue.

It's Colloidal Silver that can do that, and the condition is named Argyria.

Thanks for the experience Kope.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      I take Flax seed oil daily and I don't think it's helped the T. Flax seed has Omega 3, 6 and 9 where cod liver oil only has 3 plus it's veggie friendly.

I take it thinking of joints and the fact I know I don't get enough otherwise in my diet, though I mainly take it because my other half feeds it to me.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Kopesy
      English

Kopesy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'll never know
      I'll check this out! Thanks :)

• Like Like x 1
    7. nogood
      Procrastinating

nogood Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity/infection
      Over all its good for you..
      My doctor recommend 2g a day for me..which is highest allowed.

8. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      You're thinking of trobalt haha.

9. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      "Cod liver oil contains two omega-3 fats called docosahexaenoic acid, or DHA, and eicosapentaenoic acid, or EPA, while flaxseed oil contains a different omega-3 fat called alpha-linolenic acid, or ALA. The body needs all three of these fatty acids for different purposes. The body can convert the ALA in flaxseed oil into EPA and DHA, though in much smaller quantities than the same amount cod liver oil naturally contains. Cod liver oil, however, does not contain ALA nor the resources for the body to produce it.

Cod Liver Oil Benefits
      In a study published in "Cardiovascular Research" in 2009, researchers found that the omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids in fish oils, like cod liver oil, helped reduce occurrences of heart failure, whereas those in flaxseed oil did not. They further found that dietary supplementation with fish oil but not flaxseed oil suppressed inflammation and prevented certain kinds of heart failure. Fish oil also increased production of a blood hormone that helps burn fat and suppress appetite, while flax oil does not. Unlike other fish oils, cod liver oil in particular is a significant source of vitamins A and D."

I say take all three! I know I certainly do!

10. Richard zurowski

Richard zurowski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      27/12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      I'll take mostly anything if it helps my tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. Kste Adams
      Studious

Kste Adams Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMD, Noise?
      Fish oil is a natural blood thinner, so you need to talk to your doctor if you're taking prescription blood thinners. I take no medications whatever, but if I overdo the fish oil, I end up with bruises all over (flax seed doesn't seem to cause the same problem).

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      lol maybe must be what markuu said that would turn you blue...instead of cod liver oil... ya Danny Boy that's what I was thinking...trobalt..lol

13. Dawn Whinetaker

Dawn Whinetaker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      We take cod liver oil for a lot of health supplements, and I had no idea that it could help with tinnitus. I've been struggling with it for two years though, and the cod liver oil in my diet doesn't seem to have made a difference unfortunately. I wonder what health factors it would have that could help someone overcome tinnitus? Is there any science behind this?

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hi everyone!i have read on another forum , dont remember which tinnitus forum it was that someone posted they had been using cod liver oil and they have been tinnitus free since using it... so i guess i will try this too...:eek:_O has anyone else tried this stuff?

15. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I am not sure about cod liver but I tried various fish oils, MCT, Udo's Blend oil, Krill oil and none really did anything for my T

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      can someone take this with almagams in ? wonder if it would cause issues since it probably contains some mecury?

17. Michael Hamond

Michael Hamond Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I've read on several sites (some look reputable, others are clearing pushing an agenda) that cod liver oil is helpful because of its Vitamin A and D content. Look up the link between Vitamin A deficiency and tinnitus and you see that people are looking into this. I am trying the oil. It's a low risk bet and people have been using this for years. Maybe there is something to it. As with everything else we discuss here, it all depends on the individual's condition and their response.

18. Optic Axis
      Tired

Optic Axis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music and industrial machines.
      I take cod liver oil regularly but it has no effect either way, on my tinnitus.

19. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I read that vit a and vit d compete for absorption in the liver..so its not recommended to take them together